VP of Engineering
About The Opportunity
Be the first of your friends to declare, “I love where I work!” and actually mean it. Laugh hard and work hard with some of the best and brightest in the tech industry.
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The GrubHub. portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. The company's online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from thousands of takeout restaurants across the country and London, and every order is supported by the company's 24/7 customer service. Grubhub has offices in Chicago, New York City and London.
With a career at Grubhub you can order your cake and eat it, too!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
We are looking for an experienced, driven VP of Engineering who will lead our Diner Applications - Mobile Web (Android and iOS). This individual will report directly to our CTO, Maria Belousova and partner with our VP of Engineering (Chicago), Saad Rehmani. An ideal candidate is a proven technology leader with a track record of building highly scalable, 24/7 available web applications and services. The successful candidate will be passionate about building feature-rich native and web applications as well as delivering highly scalable and highly available web services and intelligent data-driven systems. This role requires a leader who can build a world class engineering organization capable of rapid innovation while maintaining a high engineering bar.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- This roll will manage several (4-5) development teams, approximately 30-40 people, focused on scaling and driving innovation around our Diner Application.
- This individual will be responsible for defining vision, driving team execution, as well as overseeing architecture and engineering process. This will require strong leadership capabilities, as well as the ability to roll-up-your-sleeves to ensure alignment across technology , product and business stakeholders.
- This leader will collaborate with the CTO and VP of Engineering (Chicago) and all member of the executive team to translate the business priorities of the company into technical agenda
- Lead multiple teams that are focused on creating cutting edge products
- Lead architecture discussions and creat clear decision-making products
- Manage teams across multiple areas
- Establish and maintain a high engineering bar with a rigorous, yet agile development
- Lead and assist with the recruitment of highly motivated and drive technology talent
You Should Have
- 7+ years of progressive engineering leadership experience - managing multiple teams and/or locations
- 15+ years of Software Engineering experience
- Solid understanding and experience in the Agile methodology, hands on management of agile, iterative development spanning specification, prototyping, architecture, QA, operations and support
- Advanced understanding of cloud based development methodologies and state of the art design patterns. Understanding and experience of building highly scalable, highly available systems
- Experience in ecommerce or another high availability, scalable industry
- Strong people management skills, proven success in recruiting, creating and motivating a strong performing engineering team.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.