Senior Research Engineer
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features you and your peers will love
We are looking for research engineers to implement state of the art algorithms across multiple fields (Machine Learning, Recommender Systems, Computer Vision, Information Retrieval, etc.). As a member of the new Research and Development organization you’ll be working closely with research scientists, data engineers, product managers, and designers in a fast growing startup environment to implement state of the art algorithms for internal projects and to build applications that benefit our quickly growing user base of over 1 million developers worldwide.
You’ll have an amazing opportunity to work with the latest technologies, challenged to take the most recent advances in research and translating them to implementations that have significant impact on the business and the developer community. We’re building next generation tools to make it as simple as possible for developers to create and deploy software and applications at scale. You’ll play a significant role in defining what those tools will look like, and in finding the most efficient ways to translate state-of-the-art research results into scalable applications to impact millions. You’ll be working on new problems that require challenging traditional engineering assumptions, being extremely creative, and user-focused. Developers use DigitalOcean to be creative and, by building applications, have positive economic impact. You’ll help empower them by giving them access to the latest technology and algorithms anywhere.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Implementing state-of-the-art research algorithms making them ready for DigitalOcean production scale.
- Interfacing with research scientists, product engineers, product managers, and designers to understand, plan, and execute the right implementation strategies to have internal and external impact.
- Read relevant research papers to have a general understanding of different approaches to the task you’ll be working on.
- Constantly thinking of and communicating ideas for new developer tools and methods to simplify software development and deployment.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Strong ability to implement research results, quickly understanding real-world constraints and working around them so that such implementations efficiently scale and have an impact.
- Work independently, while effectively leveraging and working with the rest of the team to ensure a smooth transition from research to production.
- Ability to quickly understand algorithms developed in research, identifying production bottlenecks and finding solutions to experiment, iterate, and launch.
- Help scientists in the team and across the company understand limitations and/or required algorithm modifications for production.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.