Senior Engineer: Performance
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical Senior Performance Engineer. The Performance Engineering team works with the business and engineering teams to integrate performance capabilities into DigitalOcean’s products, people, and processes. Performance at DigitalOcean is about driving the business forward and making it and its customers more performant every step of the way. You would be responsible for measuring, monitoring and enhancing the performance and scalability of the DO platform and products.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Scale one of the fastest growing cloud companies in the world
- Work across all of Engineering and Infrastructure to deliver performant and scalable infrastructure, products, and services
- Solve challenging software and hardware performance optimizations problems across the entire stack
- Develop frameworks, infrastructure and tooling that will enable our developers to ship performant code & monitor it with ease
- Provide visibility into the performance of our raw compute, networking, and storage offerings as well as our application tiers.
What We Will Expect From You:
- Significant experience as a performance engineer working in cloud technologies
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Perl, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Experience in utilizing theoretical and empirical research to solve problems
- Deep understanding and knowledge of virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Deep understanding of Linux
- Passion for mentoring and coaching other members on your team and enabling a culture of performance in engineering
Why You Will Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work.We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.