Senior Data Engineer
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
Our Business Operations unit interfaces with the rest of DigitalOcean to ensure our ability to execute on our product vision and support our growing customer base in a data-driven and efficient manner. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will join a growing Data & Analytics team that partners with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by building and scaling our company-wide data platform providing robust and relevant analysis, insights and data products.
The Senior Data Engineer will help expand the Data Science & Engineering side of the Data & Analytics team at a critical phase of growth for DigitalOcean’s product portfolio. Data Engineers plays a foundational role in the team’s ability to assess new business opportunities, uncover new insights, and implement strategies that engage our users, optimize our operations and grow our business.
Data Engineering owns the process of extracting, transforming, and loading large amounts of data from various sources (structured/unstructured/streaming) into a comprehensive, unified data environment. This data environment is heavily relied upon by decision-makers in all aspects of the business for insights and intelligence, and also serves as the backbone for numerous data science products that are integrated in systems company-wide. Thus, it is critical that Data Engineering effectively manages the timeliness and quality of data being piped into the environment, as well as the reliability of the environment itself. As DigitalOcean seeks to significantly expand its product portfolio and customer base, Data Engineers will be asked to continually evaluate and construct pipelines for entirely new data sources of varying levels of complexity and scale. Beyond technical expertise, we are looking for an individual with strong strategic acumen and significant experience working with customer-focused teams geared toward delivering business impact.
You should feel at home in a fast-paced startup environment, with the ability and desire to dive independently into incomplete and imperfect datasets. You should thrive in situations where decisions need to be made as quickly and effectively as possible based on the available data, and where your code, insights and advice are used daily to make decisions that affect over a million users. You should feel ready to create a framework or solution where one does not already exist, and should be ready to blaze a path forward where there may be ambiguity.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop and implement scalable ETL processes for new data sources of varying levels of complexity and scale
- Contribute to the ongoing maintenance and scaling of the over-arching ETL framework and data environment, including performance tuning
- Focus on production status and data quality of the data environment and data products being delivered to the business, and effectively communicate to internal user base regarding production changes/issues
- Interface closely with data infrastructure, engineering and technical operations teams to ensure reliability and scalability of ETL framework and data environment
- Work closely with other members of the Data & Analytics team, including Business Intelligence and Data Science to understand evolving ETL needs as more complex data models are introduced
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Significant experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance for multiple high-growth companies, preferably those with technical products
- Scripting in Python required, experience with R/Scala/Go a plus
- Track record of developing and evolving complex data environments and intelligence platforms for business users
- Demonstrable ability to relate high-level business requirements to technical ETL and data infrastructure needs, including underlying data models and scripts
- History of proactively identifying forward-looking data engineering strategies, utilizing cutting-edge technologies, and implementing at scale
- Hands-on experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning and data mining concepts
- Demonstrable critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability and confidence to make conclusions and recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges and opportunities into actionable engineering strategies
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as HDFS/Hive/Spark/Mesos
- Advanced SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) scripting required
- Programming against APIs required
- Experience with Looker (BI Platform) a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field or cumulative relevant experience
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.