Director of Special Projects
Greater NYC Area
Perch is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it all, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy.
Every year in the U.S., $1.8 trillion of single family residences transact, generating over $80 billion of brokers fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Perch offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home --less intimidating.
Perch is headquartered in New York City and has 50+ employees. We have raised over $50 million in financing from top tier investors including: FirstMark, Accomplice and Juxtapose.
Perch has developed a home selling experience that brings control and convenience to homeowners. By harnessing the power of data science, technology, and human-centered design, we’ve developed a seller experience that delivers a market price offer for your home in 24 hours with the ability to close at a time of your choosing. No home showings, no repairs to do, no contingent offers, no fear of the offer falling through before closing. It’s the way a home sale always should have worked. For home buyers, we’re pioneering a new category of homes: Certified Pre-Owned. We renovate the homes we purchase to make them move-in ready and offer a warranty. Buyers can close in a matter of days all online – no paperwork.
Perch is seeking a Director of Special Projects to join our team. This is an early-stage opportunity to join a company that is transforming the way customers buy and sell their homes. The Director of Special Projects will play a key role in helping our fast-growing company maintain our pace of innovation by helping us pilot and operationalize a variety of initiatives that drive value for the business. This is critical work where we may not have a fulltime person in the organization that can tackle it…that is where you come in. The Director of Special Projects will wear a lot of hats and will be adept at working in ambiguity and running down solutions to a variety of challenges.
This role will spearhead initiatives that are consumer-facing as well as drivers of internal efficiency. This role is equal parts elbow grease, analytical skills, and strategic acumen. You will need to be able to work fast while being detail-oriented. You will need to know when the good-enough solution today is sufficient versus the perfect solution next month.
Examples of projects you could work on in the year ahead, as part of this role:
- Help scope the addressable market and legal implications of a new consumer service we’re considering piloting
- Build out a new operations function, from drafting the Standard Operating Procedure to hiring out the first hire needed
- Spend several weeks in one of our operating markets in Texas filling in gaps as we scale our operations with the increased demand for our services
The above are just examples, but are illustrative of the type of work you could expect in the role. The key with any project you’d tackle in this role is that you understand the problem to be solved thoroughly then move swiftly to solve it.
- At least 5 years of experience in consulting, banking, biz ops, or general management
- Experience at early/growth stage company a big plus – we want people with demonstrated track record of rolling up their sleeves and leading initiatives from start to finish
- Experience working cross-functionally across different groups, including working closely with operators
- Proven track record of success in goal achievement
- Strong organizational skills and detail orientation
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA a plus
- Self-starter, organized, ability to complete projects independently
- Leadership skills to motivate team members of all levels and backgrounds
- Highly effective at building collaborative relationships across our entire organization
- High energy and action-oriented with a history of getting things done in complex, fast moving environments. Successful in scrappy and entrepreneurial environments, with a drive to get things done
- Superior analytical skills and attention to detail with a data-driven mentality
- Track record of good business judgment with maturity, diplomacy, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Results orientation with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches. Solutions-focused mindset
- A strong multi-tasker with the ability to prioritize work based on business and operational needs
- People describe you as: Passionate, a leader, a strong communicator, and someone that gets things done
Read Full Job Description