Construction Project Manager
The Construction Project Manager will support the Retail Expansion team by leading the development of physical spaces from design development through bidding, permitting, construction and turnover of the space to the Retail Operations team. The ideal candidate has experience with designers, architects, contractors and other vendors and has overseen the development of physical retail spaces in prior roles. As the team member responsible for ensuring the timely and cost effective opening of all retail stores at Away, this person is excited to develop scalable processes to support the channel’s rapid growth in 2018 and beyond. This person will be accountable for the timeline, budget, and successful build out of assigned Away retail and corporate projects in a variety of geographic locations. This position is based out of our Noho, NYC headquarters.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Manage all retail store construction projects and other various construction and fabrication projects, including corporate HQ projects and short term activations
- Manage project build outs from design development through opening and turnover to the Store Operations team, closely collaborating with store design team, architects, landlords and contractors
- Collaborate with internal teams including Store Operations and Experiential Marketing to ensure spaces are designed to fit each store’s operational and programming needs, equipping each store with what they need to provide a distinctly Away retail experience. Liaise with other internal teams including Content Marketing, Growth Marketing and PR to ensure each store opening is a successful launch into each new market
- Review architectural plans, shop drawings, lighting proposals, and other documentation as needed
- Perform due diligence to assist other members for the Retail Expansion team on location finding with respect to base building conditions, layouts, dimensions, and engineering requirements in advance of lease finalization and signing
- Develop a bottoms-up budget and timeline for executive level approval, and manage both throughout the project
- Prepare bid lists and packages for General Contractors, manage RFIs and shop drawings approvals, level and negotiate bids, and award contracts
WHO YOU ARE:
- 5+ years of experience in retail construction project management, including several years working directly for a retailer on new store openings, construction and build out
- Experience with excel and creating and managing budgets and timelines
- Comfortable reviewing architectural plans and designs; experience with 3D design programs a plus!
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Extremely organized and able to manage multiple projects and timelines and many internal stakeholders and external vendors simultaneously
- Willing to travel 25%-50% during store openings and build outs
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement
- Quarterly company outings
- Annual international team trips
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 100 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $31M in venture funding led by Forerunner Ventures, Accel Partners, and Global Founders Capital.