Vice President, Research & Development
Greater NYC Area
Freshly is a fast-growing, food-tech startup and the largest fresh-prepared-meal delivery service in the country. It’s our mission to make eating healthy easy (for all kinds of people with all kinds of different needs) by delivering fresh, nutritious, fully cooked meals directly to customers. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. This is your chance at being a part of history and future success.
The Research & Development Team is looking for an exceptionally talented Vice President of Research & Development (R&D) to join our team. We are seeking a customer-centric leader who is passionate about R&D, specifically healthy food. The Vice President of Research & Development (R&D) is responsible for developing a R&D center of excellence which will manage the innovation process to deliver best-in-class concepts sourced through partnerships, influencers, vendors, and market experts. This team is responsible for the evolution and innovation around our menu, from ideation to prototype to making sure any physical product freshly launches is ready to hand over to the commercialization team for scale up and launch. This function will partner with our product portfolios (meals, snacks, desserts, and beyond) to evolve the product offerings. We need a Research & Development function as innovative and ambitious as our mission.
- Build Freshly’s R&D team responsible for culinary innovation across all current and new product portfolio leads from ideation to prototype.
- Work cross-functionally with various departments, such as commercialization, marketing, health & wellness, product, CX, production, to support or drive menu related initiatives.
- Oversees all test kitchens to insure facilities are utilized as an effective tool for experimenting with new flavors and ideas, the development of new products , and the refinement of existing products.
- Maintain a keen understanding of the ever-changing food and wellness market and consumer trends to develop a robust pipeline of innovation concepts.
- Partner with Marketing on campaigns, content initiatives, and corporate events.
- Collaborate with Brand and Consumer Insights to build menus that supports product positioning, value propositioning and consumer needs.
- Own packaging R&D responsibilities
- Become an expert in our customers’ taste and dietary preferences.
- Direct staff including hiring, developing, and managing R&D team resources.
- 10+ years of experience in new product development, brand marketing, innovations or operations, preferably in the direct-to-consumer (DTC) environment.
- Strong culinary experience working in the food industry required, experience in a food manufacturing environment a plus.
- Data-driven individual that can marry to art of culinary development and brand with the science of a DTC tech company; accustomed to quantified decision-making.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or related field.
- Experience building and managing teams.
- Talent for communicating, influencing, critical thinking and problem-solving.
Freshly is a weekly subscription service delivering healthy and fully prepared meals directly to a customer’s doorstep. The rotating weekly menu offers 30 different flavorful preparations and combinations that are chef-made with the highest quality, 100% all natural ingredients that meet industry leading standards. Each deliciously healthy meal is packed with key nutrients and cooked fresh to order with no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, refined sugars, artificial preservatives or hydrogenated oils.
In addition to providing free shipping, Freshly uses advanced eco-friendly packaging technology to ensure that meals maintain freshness in transit. Freshly makes embracing a healthier lifestyle deliciously simple, one box at a time. For more information, visit www.freshly.com.
Here’s some chatter about us:
WSJ - Nestle Buys Stake in Freshly, Putting Healthy Food On The Menu
Fortune - Nestle Leads $77M Funding Round In Meal-Delivery Startup Freshly
Techcrunch - Nestlé leads $77M Round For Healthy Meal Startup Freshly
WSJ - Freshly Hires It's New CMO From Spotify - Mayur Gupta
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description