theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s design team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautiful products Skimm’rs love. This role is a key member on the team, working cross-functionally to own product experiences end to end and bring theSkimm’s voice to life.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Design flows and experiences for our products that are simple, elegant, and bring theSkimm’s voice to life
- Partner in cross-functional squads across design, product, engineering, and editorial to oversee the user experience of a product from conception to launch
- Work through design problems from beginning to end, translating insights into ideas that form a meaningful and delightful user experience
- Build user flows, wireframes and prototypes, producing multiple concepts, knowing when to apply attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes
- Engage directly with users to test design ideas and solutions and then leverage that feedback and data to iterate on the designs
- Create visual designs that effectively communicates brand identity
- Understand the value of design patterns and help build and maintain a cohesive visual language
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 3+ years of end to end product design experience
- Demonstrated understanding of user-centered design principles
- Passionate advocate for the user, but know when to look beyond their requests to discover the true problem
- Experience with lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping
- Experience designing cross-platform products (Web, Mobile, Email)
- Enthusiasm and excitement for working collaboratively or individually, and ability to maintain a self-starter attitude in any environment
- Proficient in product design tools (Sketch, Figma, or Adobe XD) and prototyping tools (such as Invision, Figma, Principal, etc.)
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm, and a passion for our audience and mission
- Keen interest in elevating theSkimm’s existing products and bringing new offerings to life
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY