Senior Manager, Risk Modeling
At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. We’re improving the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
The Risk Management team creates competitive advantage for OnDeck through excellence in risk/reward optimization while simultaneously exercising its function of control in a vigorous and diligent fashion. The Risk Management team develops strategies and models to extend credit in a profitable manner to small businesses and their owners based on a strong understanding of the behavioral and commercial drivers of its customers and on sophisticated analysis of data. As the control function of OnDeck, the Risk Management Team ensures that that the portfolio, policies, strategies, new product features or operational processes at OnDeck are consistent with the risk appetite set by the management team and the board.
The Risk Data Science and Innovation team is dedicated to maintaining OnDeck’s competitive advantage in using data and technology to make better lending decisions. In addition to acting as a Center of Excellence for statistical modeling across the business, the team is also responsible for the design of new underwriting systems and processes that enable us to make better lending decisions faster and more efficiently than our competition.
Lead and inspire our Modeling Center of Excellence team by producing innovative credit models that enable better credit decisions
As the Sr Manager, Model Development at OnDeck on the Data Science & Innovation Team, you will:
- Manage a model development pipeline covering the full customer lifecycle of our small business merchants; from marketing response models to credit scorecards and portfolio forecasting
- Develop and mentor a team of statisticians while fostering a culture of curiosity and innovation
- Define and document statistical model development best practices and control structures
- Contribute to the evolution of OnDeck’s data strategy, including data partnerships, data model architecture and batch and real-time processing capabilities
- Work with partner teams to implement and monitor new model structures and ensure that they are deployed in a way that maximizes risk-adjusted returns
- Work with our underwriting teams to create a process where credit models are built based on risk principles and human insight
- Keep well informed on industry trends and competition to maintain OnDeck’s leadership in small business lending
- Evaluate and select BI tools and model development technologies that improve analyst efficiency and eliminate or streamline low value-add processes
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, engineering, or a quantitative field; MS/PhD preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience.
- A background in sophisticated quantitative environments within world-class organizations
- Experience in Model Governance and Controls
- Credit risk scorecard development, preferably at a Federally regulated bank or financial services company
- Thorough knowledge of principles of credit risk management and forecasting trends
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally managing teams and manage projects performed by external vendors
Nice-to-haves (not required):
- Credit risk scorecard development, preferably at a federally regulated bank or financial services company
- Hands-on experience working with transactional, credit bureau, and/or time series data
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by over 80,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build growing and thriving enterprises. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $10 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, we’re reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
Benefits for you:
OnDeck believes that each and every team member plays an important role in our company’s success. That’s why we strive to provide you and your family with a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Fortune and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- 500|5000, 2013, 2014
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**