Greater NYC Area
Who we are:
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
The General Manager sits at the intersection of growth, operations, and business excellence as the principal leader of Cityblock’s market-level business and clinical operations. You will be responsible for defining and delivering on market-level goals and performance, and overseeing in-market growth, operational execution, clinical and quality outcomes, and financial success -- put simply, you drive market value for Cityblock and its strategic partners. The General Manager collaborates closely with regional clinical leadership who own overall clinical strategy in the market. You are the P&L owner, with management oversight and primary or shared accountability for business operations, network development, partnership / account management, clinical operations, care delivery operational excellence, community based organization partnerships, member engagement and satisfaction, community outreach, and team management.
You will be an important leader within Cityblock’s growing team, and will collaborate cross-functionally with senior leaders across the organization, including in particular operational, clinical, and development executives, to be a face and leader for Cityblock on the ground. You will develop high quality professional relationships and lead execution of multi-million dollar annual revenue contracts. You will engage heavily with Cityblock’s commercial partners (health plans and risk-bearing providers).
This person thrives as an operating leader who sits at the intersection of business development, health system design strategy, care delivery operations, and client relationship management. You are driven by a passion for value-based, integrated health care and you care deeply about bringing best-in-class care models to serve vulnerable populations. You are an experienced care delivery operator whose has shown success as a leader in advanced clinical models by demonstrating thought leadership, trust-based relationship building capability, operational know-how, creativity, and sound business acumen. You have an eye for detail, are quick to execute, but also fully understand the complex dynamics of health care stakeholder engagement and network development that spans traditional payers, providers, and community-based organizations. You learn fast, fail fast, and move on. This person will connect with other external leaders to position Cityblock Health as a critical ally and partner in bringing leading care delivery models to serve their members and patients.
If you like hard problems, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Own the financial results in assigned market(s)
- Own all business operations, budgeting and administrative activities that support assigned market(s) to drive high value performance and an efficient, lean operating model
- Establish a trust-based partnership with Cityblock’s clinical leadership teams (both within assigned markets and nationally) where you will design, implement and manage business operations that reinforce the Cityblock model of care to achieve local market clinical and quality goals
- Facilitate and drive ongoing care model evolution and adaptation through close collaboration with local clinical partners and Cityblock leadership
- Drive market entry and local launch, by starting and scaling first-in-market teams (if/where applicable)
- Grow patient base and market share to meet assigned market growth goals
- Develop and manage provider and community-based organization networks; collaborate with health plan partners to manage and enhance their provider and community networks
- Hire, train, manage, and develop all in-market operations leaders (business operations, clinical operations, network, finance, and more)
- Promote a metrics-driven culture, with the development of consistent approaches to setting targets, forecasting and ongoing performance improvement
- Drive implementation of and oversee operational functions with health plan and health system partners that reinforce Cityblock’s care model, which may include data sharing and reporting, financial management, revenue cycle management, call center operations, network contracting, clinical management, joint operating committee meetings, and more.
- Act as a business development contributor, targeting and developing new strategic collaborations in-market, orchestrating collaborations to drive revenue diversification, and leading implementation
You’d be a good fit if:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required; MBA/MHA preferred; 12+ years work experience with proven, positive business results; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- You’re deeply strategic AND operationally oriented, constantly focused on performance excellence and efficiency, but also seeking ways to innovate and grow
- You have hands-on operations leadership experience. You’ve built and improved teams, built deep stakeholder relationships will, and driven high-fidelity field-based operations, ideally in risk-based healthcare for Medicaid, Medicare, or Duals
- You have experience building and managing a P&L in a health care delivery and/or health plan setting
- You have superb project/process management skills (particularly with modern tool suites and cloud collaboration). You are rigorous, energetic, agile, and flexible, and aren’t afraid to do the work yourself.
- You have familiarity with network strategy, including network development, value-based care contracting, provider relations, and local operations
- You have exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, and personal maturity...and most importantly, you inspire a commitment to Cityblock’s mission and to excellence
- Charismatic with excellent presentation skills and the ability to own external relationships with key executive stakeholders under minimal supervision
- Experience in managing and assessing rigorous quantitative and qualitative market performance
- Expertise working with clinical, business development, and technical teams to design and implement programs to that drive clinical performance improvement while maintaining (and improving) relationships between health plans, physicians, hospitals, and other network partners
- Strong working understanding of the national payer and risk-bearing provider landscape as well as digital health trends and new entrants
- Strong understanding of health reform, population health strategy, and change leadership in large, complex health care organizations
- 30-40% travel availability
Nice to have:
- Direct experience as a General Manager, P&L leader or operations leader within a capitated, risk-based medical group serving Medicaid and/or Medicare Advantage patients
- MD/MBA joint degree with an orientation towards the business of medicine (i.e., does not need to be a practicing or board-certified physician)
- High growth start-up experience
- Experience operating in a tech-forward environment, including building and deploying bespoke digital tools
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
Read Full Job Description