Director of Consumer Insights, Harry's Ventures
About the Role
As the Director of Consumer Insights on the Harry’s Ventures team, you will work collaboratively with the Ventures and Labs team to identify, evaluate and invest in exciting consumer, market and product opportunities. Our goal is to launch or acquire 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year based on the ideas you will help identify and validate. We need a passionate consumer insights leader to serve as the voice of the consumer as we develop, invest in, and launch highly innovative new CPG brands.
The specific mandate of the Director of Consumer Insights will vary from investment opportunity to investment opportunity. He/she will work collaboratively with the VP, Ventures to recommend an insights plan to test key hypotheses at each stage of market, consumer, brand and product diligence including when and how to leverage specific insights tools. He/she will then lead the development and execution of key consumer insights activities including end to end execution and synthesis of consumer interviews, quantitative consumer surveys, market segmentations, concept/brand testing, etc. He/she will work collaboratively with the Ventures team to ensure that his/her work integrates in real time with Ventures investment diligence findings, and that key consumer insights learnings and recommendations are seamlessly integrated into broader investment evaluation. The Director of Consumer Insights will also synthesize lessons learned from insights executions for new brand investment opportunities and use those learnings to advise the Ventures and Labs team on how to improve the efficiency and efficacy of investment diligence and brand launch. Finally, the Director of Insights will also assist in building out the insights plan for new brands, playing a pivotal role in codifying how to assess early brand and consumer awareness and resonance to enable new brand success post-launch.
We want a leader in this role who is excited about leveraging consumer insights in creative ways to both unearth consumer problems and come up with innovative, consumer-centric brands and solutions that Harry’s can invest behind. We need someone who’s excited to work across multiple market segments and can creatively determine how to best answer nuanced questions about consumer challenges and preferences. We want someone who can think highly strategically, look around corners, make sounds decisions and provide clear and compelling, data-driven recommendations to our Ventures team despite imperfect information. We also want someone who can execute highly tactically, driving down to the most minute details and who will roll up his or her sleeves to just get stuff done. And, most of all we want a great collaborator who can work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders, synthesize a variety of information, and drive to clear and thoughtful investment recommendations that maximize the likelihood of success of the Ventures team and our new brands.
Beyond the opportunity to work with great people, this role provides a unique opportunity to be part of a team that will drive the discovery and launch phases of new brands. You will work alongside experienced entrepreneurs and executives during initial stages of founding innovative new CPG brands powered by the experience and resources of Harry’s Inc.
What you will accomplish:
- Work in partnership with the VP, Harry’s Ventures and Senior Director of Insights, Harry’s Inc, to determine optimal use of insights across category assessment, investment evaluation, and brand development work, taking a bespoke approach to each opportunity and driving continuous improvement in investment evaluation process
- Serve as the voice of the consumer to the Ventures team and Harry’s leadership as we assess investment opportunities and build new brands/businesses, ensuring our value propositions always improve the consumer experience and journey in the category
- Oversee qualitative and quantitative market landscape and category/segment specific insights work to assess size and attractiveness of market segments, help prioritize sector focus, and unearth hard to decipher unmet consumer needs
- Support investment evaluation efforts by effectively translating primary and secondary insights into business plan recommendations including financial forecast model inputs
- Guide development of new brand positioning and product/pricing decisions with insights that drive consumer-centric competitive advantage via efficacy, convenience, value, and/or accessibility
- Effectively communicate learnings to Ventures teams and Harry’s leadership by distilling results into essential learnings and actionable recommendations that enable rapid decisions
- Over time, build repeatable insights processes and metrics that enable brands to quickly and scrappily measure success and scale more easily
- Selectively engage with Harry’s Ventures team to define brand optimization and/or repositioning needs in later stage opportunities
- Connect members of new brands operating teams to Harry’s teams and to each other and encourage sharing insights best practices
This should describe you:
- A Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree is a plus
- 10+ years of consumer insights experience including experience within a CPG company. Experience leading insights work to drive innovation and/or M&A diligence a plus.
- Experienced insights leader with broad and deep knowledge and aptitude across insights toolkit including both qualitative & quantitative primary techniques and secondary (syndicated) data review and synthesis
- Always focused on driving insights into business recommendations across brand positioning and creative, product merchandising and innovation, marketing channels and execution, and pricing
- Skilled data storyteller – You are comfortable weaving together disparate sources of information into a holistic story with strong recommendations based on market trends and consumer facts
- Unwaveringly objective – You represent the voice of the consumer in all situations, especially when learning is counter to initial hypotheses or prior learning
- You geek out on the idea of uncovering insights that unlock business growth and product offerings that appeal to an ever wider base of loyal customers
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, interested in learning about new categories and new businesses
- Team Oriented: You are highly collaborative and able to quickly establish credibility within the team to impact decisions through both formal and informal influence
- Problem-Solver: Is sought to help break down problems and brainstorm solutions for the trickiest ones.
- Resilient: Almost always displays resilience and unwavering focus, regardless of any hiccups, roadblocks or failures they might encounter
- Innovative & Scrappy: Pushes themselves and others to take risks and try new things, when appropriate, that could surprise and delight our team or customers. Ability to be scrappy and creative with resources to maximize business impact.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the VP, Harry’s Ventures
- Advised closely by the Senior Director of Insights, Harry’s
- You will work on the Harry’s Ventures team, a small team dedicated to identifying and launching leading next generation CPG brands
Harry’s launched in 2013 with the aspiration to disrupt the men’s grooming market. We built a brand and products out of respect for quality craftsmanship and simple design and were able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated -- manufacturing our own products and selling directly to customers.
Today, we have over 3 million online customers across the US and UK and significant retail presence at Target and Walmart. We are expanding our product offering beyond shaving, most recently launching a body wash and bar soap line and we are out building out our business internationally.
But our ambition doesn’t stop there. Our vision is to build the next generation CPG company, investing in, building, and owning a portfolio of omnichannel modern brands across multiple categories within CPG. After raising $112M in our most recent round of funding, we plan to leverage our platform and capabilities, and partner with exceptional entrepreneurs and executives to fuel the launch and/or growth of new, disruptive CPG brands. We’ve established an organization called Harry’s Ventures that will drive our investment strategy and decisions on these new opportunities. This is where you come in.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.