Director of Construction and Design, Expansion
Knotel is seeking a Director of Construction and Design, Expansion to lead the teams for our expansion markets, outside of New York City. Reporting directly to our Global Head of Real Estate & Business Development, s/he will grow Knotel’s global real estate portfolio by setting systems and processes around the entire pre-construction and build-out through member move-in. Additionally, s/he will develop and leverage knowledge of local markets to inform broader expansion planning and new market strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the design, construction, and fit-out of global Knotel locations by managing a team of designers, project managers and external consultants, contractors and vendors
- Serve as expert advisor to support Knotel’s Global Real Estate team by providing early input for scope, cost and timeline assumptions as new locations are reviewed
- Lead Knotel’s expansion strategy by developing and overseeing a network of qualified and competitive vendors, contractors and consultants
- Manage resources to drive consistency, objectivity and fact-based orientation with respect to project delivery across markets
- Create and prepare various monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for management’s review as needed
- Hire, onboard, and manage a distributed workforce responsible for growing Knotel’s portfolio in new markets
- Work with our San Francisco Supply Operations Lead to streamline procedures, strengthen our product and optimize the way we do things
Who You Are
You’re a demonstrated leader and people manager with the ability to motivate teammates, develop their skills, delegate and make sound business decisions. You have deep expertise in design and construction management and are well-versed in general building requirements and code compliance. You naturally have an eye toward scale and are excited about the ability to bring Knotel to every major city where commercial real estate continues to be a major point for companies of all shapes and sizes.
- 10 + years of experience leading construction and/or leading the budgeting of CAPEX projects (including the management of significant budgets)
- Construction management background in a fast-paced startup or retail environment
- Ability to balance design with operational needs and budget objectives under tight timelines resulting in exceptional work space environments
- Creative thinking and flexibility that allows you to operate in an agile high growth environment
With over 3 million square feet across 200 locations in New York, San Francisco, London, Los Angeles, Berlin, Brazil and Paris, Knotel is transforming the way we work with its Agile HQ™ Platform. Making long-term leases a thing of the past, Knotel designs, builds, and operates custom spaces for enterprises, so that business leaders can focus on building the future.
Founded in 2016, Knotel has raised $160 million in funding, and was named a Business Insider Top 50 Startup and New York's Hottest New Workspace Model. Knotel’s member network includes companies like Starbucks, HotelTonight, and Omnicom. To learn more, visit knotel.com.
Our Core Values
Fly your Flag - Don’t check your identity at the door. Bring it inside - we are better for it.
Don’t Look Away - Care for the details no one told you about. Make every space a home and give the gift of belonging.
Outcomes, Not Processes - Time is precious. Save it. Start with the goal and back out the journey
Get Uncomfortable - Innovation starts at the edge of the unknown. Embrace the adventure and sign up for the hairy challenges.
“Where is it Engraved…” - Question orthodoxy.
Share in the Victory Dance - No one summits alone. Leverage the best in others and offer the most in yourself.
Diversity & Inclusion at Knotel
At Knotel, we know that a diverse workforce fosters our individual and collective success. We are committed to building an inclusive, collaborative culture where people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and religious backgrounds can do their best work. This is all fueled by our employees, who drive the efforts and initiatives outlined here.