VP, Demand Generation
CB Insights is a SaaS company with media-esque traffic.
As a result of all of this, we are up to our ears in fresh leads.
Thanks to our world class research, tech’s biggest and most popular newsletter (535,000+ subscribers and growing by thousands weekly), and lots of media coverage of our data (3000+ press citations in the last 12 months), CB Insights attracts millions of visitors per year.
We, of course, know we can do better at the top of the funnel. We can always do better.
There is also an obscene amount of opportunity for us to do better mid-funnel. Whether it’s improving lead response time, experimenting with segmented workflows or nurturing leads with better mid / bottom funnel content, re-engagement campaigns for existing leads, there are countless possibilities to improve the marketing-to-sales handoff.
And finally, we believe demand generation is not just about new demand but creating demand within our existing massive client-base where we can grow these subscriptions and also use our massive reach into the Global 1000 to land & expand within those firms.
(Note: We will fill you in on the funnel as our conversations progress, but if you know SaaS company funnels, you will quickly see how much of an outlier we are and how much opportunity there is)
We’re doing a fair amount right, but we know we could be doing better. And we should be doing better.
And that’s where you, our VP of Demand Generation, come in.
We are looking for someone to lead Demand Gen at CB Insights. This person will be working directly for the company’s co-founder / CEO, Anand Sanwal.
- Leading a team of professionals to successfully develop a comprehensive, full-funnel demand generation strategy
- Designing and executing (or overseeing execution of) end-to-end marketing campaigns, from broad-based to niche ABM
- Building repeatable marketing playbooks and systems that can be measured, constantly iterated and scaled
- Advising executive team on company-level goals
- Defining goals for your team and manage against measurable indicators
- Developing collaborative partnerships across the organization to identify, launch and refine demand generation strategies. This will include working with sales, engineering, IU (intelligence unit, aka research) sales, customer success and product
- Getting to the root of issues and then intelligently implementing tools and technologies to get the job done (technology is not a panacea for problems so a deep understanding of the core challenges and constraints is critical)
- Being a magnet for talent that can attract, hire and develop exceptional talent as we build a world-class demand generation capability
As an executive, set a tone of high standards, customer obsession, disciplined decision making and as someone who just gets stuff done.
As a leader
- 10+ years of formal marketing / demand generation leadership experience at a fast-growing technology, market research or advisory firm
- Clear, fast and hard earned career progression
- Track record leading and developing high performance teams of 10+ professionals
- Experience building incentive and career progression programs that drive career advancement and retention of great talent
- Impeccable ability to recruit top-tier talent via traditional channels as well as creative ones. Be a magnet for talent.
- Strength in balancing desires of the marketing department with the needs of the overall company
As a demand generation marketer
- Expertise in multi-stage demand gen funnels and related technologies including marketing automation (e.g. Hubspot) and CRM (e.g. Salesforce)
- Experience working with sales teams to tangibly improve mid-funnel metrics
- Understanding and experience selling SaaS products with moderate to high price tags into enterprises ($50-$250k per annum)
- Proficiency across multiple acquisition channels, including but not limited to organic, paid and referral
- SEO / SEM expertise
- Impeccable copywriting and presentation building skills
- Deep interest in the data underlying the funnel and ability to nerd out on the data so we can do things like (1) track cost of customer acquisition (CAC) at the marketing campaign level or (2) product action-oriented, data-driven reporting (and not dashboards nobody will look at)
- Bonuses: experience undergoing a successful rebrand at a company with real traction (i.e. not a seed company searching for a business model)
- Knowledge that ranges from good to great in:
- Product marketing
- Event marketing
- Customer engagement marketing
Keys to success
- Move fast - We are a challenger brand. Speed is a weapon. We believe in testing hypotheses quickly, getting data to prove/disprove the hypothesis and then scaling up the winning ideas. Being tenacious and relentlessly resourceful is key.
- Magnet for talent - You must have managerial experience including building amazing teams and leading and developing teams with diverse skill sets
- Humble - We have developed strong antibodies to arrogance or hints of arrogance
- Helpful - This role will require building strong partnerships throughout CBI and with clients. Being a helpful colleague is important.
- High IQ - You will be developing and analyzing a number of demand generation strategies and tactics. You should be able to deal with ambiguity, understand ideas and data quickly and prioritize effectively. We are swimming in ideas, but they are not all created equally or worth pursuing and so knowing how to separate the good from the bad is critical so we are focused on the best strategies.
- Great communicator - Clarity of thought and disciplined, deliberate decision making are critical. You should be able to synthesize information quickly and cogently present via the appropriate medium (presentation, phone, blog post, etc).
- Systems thinking - Should think about building and refining systems and processes that make goal attainment a byproduct of the system.
- Sweat the details - Should be able to think strategically and put a plan together but also get in the weeds when necessary on day-to-day execution.
- Creative and competitive - Our goal is not to blindly follow best practices but to be the best practice. We should of course borrow good ideas from others, but blindly doing what every other technology company does is a recipe for mediocrity. We need someone who can take ideas and figure out how to customize them to our situation in a way that creates maximum value for CBI and helps us, them and their team win.
- High standards - This one doesn’t require much explanation.
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.