Senior Technical Writer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about helping developers build and deploy real-world applications.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, and motivated self-starter to join the Product team to collaborate on our product documentation efforts for Compute, Storage, Network, and Developer Tools products, and services. Reporting to the Technical Writing Manager, the Technical Writer will work across the organization to produce product documentation and set standards across the team.
The reward? You will get to work with a team of high-energy and dedicated product managers, designers and engineers to impact the lives of developers by simplifying innovation for them. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a technical background who is interested in teaching and communicating how our products work in a simple and clear way. You should be highly collaborative, enthusiastic about helping others, and able communicate clearly in a variety of contexts (one-on-one, small groups, email, tutorials, etc). In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative and comfortable work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing technology company.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Verifying and explaining the technical functionality of in-progress and release-ready cloud-based products.
- Collaborating with product design, engineering, product management, and product marketing to create user-focused documentation for novice and experienced software developers.
- Reviewing other team members' writing.
- Maintaining existing documentation as changes are introduced to existing products.
- Editing content written by product managers, support advocates, and engineers.
- Publishing content written in markdown and Hugo, reviewed on GitHub.
- Continually improving the writing team's content, style, and processes.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Strong research skills and the ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly.
- The ability to give and receive feedback to arrive at the best possible experience for users.
- A portfolio of published writing for a technical audience on cloud computing or related concepts (can be professional or personal work).
- Experience with software version control and ability to use a Git-based workflow for writing collaboration.
- Experience with:
- The Linux command line
- Installation and configuration a variety of web applications from the command line
- Documentation of in-process software
- Writing content in markdown
- Experience working remotely or collaborating from an office with remote teams
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Bonus experiences include:
- Professional experience with requirements gathering and manual or automated acceptance testing
- Experience, in any role, as part of agile and traditional product and engineering teams
- Experience with static site generators (especially Hugo), Atlassian tools, Slack.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Product team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!