Public Relations Associate
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
As theSkimm’s Public Relations Associate, you will support the creation, implementation, and execution of communications strategies to promote theSkimm brand. You will manage press relations, draft materials, staff interviews, and maintain comprehensive media lists. You have a passion for storytelling and an innovative approach to communications. You have the ability to be thoughtful and strategic while simultaneously executing and producing results in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Developing dynamic pitches to elevate theSkimm brand and supporting key company initiatives, content, and business objectives
- Developing high quality written material, press releases, pitches, messaging, Q&As, and briefings to support press interviews
- Securing and maintaining strong working relationships with editors, reporters, and producers across consumer and business press
- Maintaining thought leadership and an award submission calendars
- Tracking theSkimm’s press contacts, media coverage, and industry trends
- Assisting on ad-hoc special projects and events and providing administrative support
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 2-4 years of experience in public relations or communications; agency experience a plus
- Excellent communication skills and a strong eye for detail
- Self-starter attitude with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under pressure successfully
- Passion for theSkimm's brand, products, and audience
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.