Director of Community
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Community team at theSkimm is a small group of creative, collaborative, and fast-moving thinkers and operators who are constantly finding new ways to evolve and scale theSkimm’s most strategic asset - our community. As a member of our lean marketing team, you’ll lead a small team responsible for taking an engaged audience and grow, productize, and monetize community assets, such as the Skimm'bassador program, as we evolve Community into a cornerstone of theSkimm’s membership.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Align and organize theSkimm's community engagement across programs and platforms as an integral strategy to achieve business goals and KPIs
- Lead and grow a small team of specialists responsible for community management, moderation, marketing and engagement.
- Own the health of community programing, pilot growth strategies and engagement roadmaps
- Work closely with product, design, engineering, and marketing teams to develop a cohesive experiences that fits with and integrates into our product offerings.
- Evolve the Skimm’bassador program as a product, positioning it in the context of a broader membership ecxperience.
- Identify, create, and execute monetization streams around Community initiatives, working cross-functionally with the sales and marketing teams.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 8+ years of experience building and scaling a community or membership program
- Ability to manage, retain, and lead a team that contributes to all facets of a successful program
- User-centric approach to all community program and product development
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to work cross-functionally across all teams
- Ability to think on your feet and move quickly in a fast-faced environment
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products and a strong understanding of our target demo
- Experience working in subscription-based membership programs
- Strategic mindset and understanding of how community impacts business strategy
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.