Effective February 23rd, 2019 (the “Effective Date”), Updater Inc. d/b/a Updater (the “Company”), a Delaware corporation, agree to hire an amazing Senior Counsel that hates over-lawyering and loves to get creative with legal solutions; Are you excited by not following a typical playbook?
Great, because Updater is looking for our first full-time Senior Counsel (our CEO David Greenberg is a lawyer, but we need him to be CEO, and we need you to be our Senior Counsel)! Based out of our Union Square office you will oversee all things legal and you will be a strategic advisor and partner to the CEO and leadership team at one of New York’s fastest growing startups.
What You'll Be Doing
- Oversee Updater’s internal legal function, providing expert and strategic legal guidance on matters impacting the company.
- Partner with our CEO for all corporate transactions, contracts and fund raising activities.
- Advise executives on standard and novel transactions related to sales, business development, marketing, etc., including structuring partnerships with fortune 100 companies.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with laws and regulations applicable to the company’s business and operations.
- Operate autonomously to manage simultaneous contract negotiations, outside legal disputes and other legal matters assigned, across a wide area of business functions and subject matters.
What We Expect From You
- Ideally, you have in-house experience as Legal Counsel with at technology start-up, responsible for assisting with legal strategy and operations for a 100+ person company (technology company and in-house exp preferred, but not required).
- Substantive experience and a high level of proficiency with:
- Negotiating and drafting complex commercial and technology agreements
- Data & privacy matters
- Labor and employment-related matters and agreements
- General corporate law (corporate financing/M&A deal experience a plus)
- Exceptional ability to evaluate and prioritize tasks based on evolving business needs.
- You’re a true business partner who can navigate quickly to find acceptable compromises while protecting the interests of the business.
- Resourcefulness and ability to educate yourself on new areas of the law and keep up to date on ongoing changes in the law.
- You know Delaware corporate law and will be our leading expert in-house.
- J.D. from an accredited law school, with strong academic record and demonstrated record for success strategizing, handling and managing complex commercial disputes to successful resolution.
- State bar member in good standing.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater was named a top 100 Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC twice and was ranked as the highest rated tech company on the list in 2016. In 2019, Updater was named as one of Built-In NYC’s Best Places to Work. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.