Senior Counsel, Commercial Real Estate
About Compass — Compass is a real estate technology company building a single platform that supports the entire home buying and selling process. We deliver an incomparable experience to both agents and their clients all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Our Technology — Compass is building the infrastructure, data and technology on which the future of the real estate industry will operate. Compass’ platform integrates listings, client and transaction data all in one place, giving agents personalized recommendations and insights on how to better serve their clients.
Our Investors — Compass has raised $1.2 billion in financing to date. In its most recent round, Compass secured $400 million in Series F funding led by the Softbank Vision Fund and Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), with participation from Wellington, IVP and Fidelity. Now valued at 4.4B. Compass investors have backed the most promising technology companies in the world including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Airbnb, WeWork, Uber and Lyft.
As Senior Counsel, Commercial Real Estate at Compass, you will work with a high achieving, intelligent and collaborative Legal team on exciting matters involving many facets of our scaling business. In this newly created position, you will drive the Commercial Real Estate division, being the first point of contact for all Commercial real estate matters. Both strategic and operational, this role is critical to Compass’ expansion as we move into new markets. Your leadership contributions will be impactful and value-driven, and will serve in the development of our center-of-excellence surrounding all real-estate matters at Compass.
At Compass You Will
- Draft and negotiate routine and complex agreements supporting commercial real estate brokerage activities
- Provide legal consultation related to day-to-day matters affecting commercial real estate agents
- Collaborate with other internal lawyers to engage in dispute resolution activities with other commercial stakeholders such as brokers, landlords and tenants
- Partner with compliance team to establish and communicate best-of-class compliance programs for all commercial brokerage activities
- Handle negotiating and closing of purchase and sales, financings and re-financings as well as overseeing outside counsel on these matters when needed
- Assist with and serve as authority on other commercial real estate matters such as entity structures, financing, and acquisitions
- Review due diligence including title, survey, zoning, and entitlements for acquisitions and financing
- Instruct outside Legal Counsel on strategy and proceedings as required
- Serve as a key leader in the development and execution of tech-enabled and scalable legal solutions for commercial real estate agents
- JD degree from a top-tier law school
- 5 years of commercial real-estate experience, either in-house or private practice, with particular emphasis on commercial-leasing matters
- Strong leadership skills
- Detail-oriented with high accuracy
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects
- Can work across multiple deadlines with competing priorities
- Thrives in a fast paced environment
- Active and in good standing in the New York State Bar
What will make you stand out
- Experience working directly with real estate agents or at a commercial real estate brokerage
- Experience with managing commercial leases (5,000 square feet or greater)
- Experience with spaces requiring construction build-outs or renovations
- Experience managing a growing team
Why Compass / We’re bringing together the world’s sharpest, most creative professionals across real estate, engineering, business, marketing, as design.
Opportunity / We’re building the modern brokerage by bringing together the world’s brightest professionals across real estate, technology, business, and design. Be a part of this remarkable journey.
Culture / Collaborate daily with other proven talents in a dynamic office environment with a strong community spirit.
Diversity / At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Benefits / Enjoy premium health insurance, gym and tuition reimbursement, team events, and fun extras.