Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Meetup is looking for a Privacy Counsel to advise on data privacy and cybersecurity issues and work with product teams to develop compliant products. This is an exciting opportunity to join a legal team serving an innovative and mission-driven tech company within the WeWork family. Meetup lawyers partner with internal business counterparts and collaborate with one another and members of the WeWork legal team to support the Meetup business.
What you’ll get to do in this role:
- Serve as an advisor for product and engineering teams to ensure that products and infrastructure are compliant with applicable laws and regulations, incorporate privacy-by-design principles, and protect the security of our users’ data
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR and other data privacy laws
- Develop internal resources and training materials on privacy and cybersecurity-related obligations
- Remain current on broad range of laws and regulations relating to data privacy, cybersecurity, and the tech industry
- Partner with WeWork legal team and external counsel
What we’re looking for:
- JD with high academic achievements
- 3+ years of experience in-house (preferred) and/or at top-tier law firm advising clients on data privacy and cybersecurity issues
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex legal points and concepts to a diverse array of cross-functional internal stakeholders
- Ability and judgment required to understand the balance between business needs and legal risk
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal clients and other members of the Meetup and WeWork legal teams
- Positivity, confidence, self-motivation, drive, independence, and a sense of humor
This is an exciting time to join Meetup. After 16 years of leadership by our Founder, we recently welcomed a new CEO to the company. We are now going through the process of re-evaluating our priorities and our legal team provides critical support to the company as it undergoes this highly dynamic strategy process that will impact our future for years to come. We are also a year into being acquired by WeWork, an amazing partner who continues to significantly invest in our growth.
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?