About Compass — Compass is a real estate technology company building a single platform that supports the entire home buying and selling process. We deliver an incomparable experience to both agents and their clients all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Our Technology — Compass is building the infrastructure, data and technology on which the future of the real estate industry will operate. Compass’ platform integrates listings, client and transaction data all in one place, giving agents personalized recommendations and insights on how to better serve their clients.
Our Investors — Compass has raised $1.2 billion in financing to date. In its most recent round, Compass secured $400 million in Series F funding led by the Softbank Vision Fund and Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), with participation from Wellington, IVP and Fidelity. Now valued at $4.4B. Compass investors have backed the most promising technology companies in the world including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Airbnb, WeWork, Uber and Lyft.
As Counsel for Leasing at Compass, you will work with a talented and collaborative group of in-house attorneys on exciting legal matters involving many facets of our business. You are energetic and collaborative and will serve as a primary contributor in the development of our center-of-excellence surrounding all real-estate matters at Compass. Your contributions will be impactful and value-driven.
What you will do
- Oversee and assist with the drafting and negotiating of office and retail leases across the U.S. and assist with related mission-critical responsibilities
- Negotiate work letters and construction-related agreements
- Review and negotiate SNDAs, estoppels, licenses and similar agreements
- Provide legal advice with respect to day-to-day occupancy issues
- Serve as a key partner in the development and execution of corporate real estate strategy
What you will need
- JD degree from an exceptional law school
- 4 years of real-estate transactions experience at a top-tier law firm or corporation, with particular emphasis on commercial-leasing matters
- Strong collaboration skills and proven track record of effectively managing projects
- Detail-oriented and accurate
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects and related personnel under deadline pressure
- Active and in good standing in the New York State Bar
What will make you stand out
- Familiar with local requirements which will include zoning and occupancy
- Experience working across a high volume of lease agreements with competing priorities
- Experience working directly with real estate agents or at a mixed residential / retail real estate brokerage
- Experience with managing commercial leases (5,000 square feet or greater)
- Experience with spaces requiring construction build-outs or renovations
- Experience advising clients on lease disputes
- Experience working on a client's entire portfolio
Why Compass / We’re bringing together the world’s sharpest, most creative professionals across real estate, engineering, business, marketing, as design.
Opportunity / We’re building the modern brokerage by bringing together the world’s brightest professionals across real estate, technology, business, and design. Be a part of this remarkable journey.
Culture / Collaborate daily with other proven talents in a dynamic office environment with a strong community spirit.
Diversity / At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Benefits / Enjoy premium health insurance, gym and tuition reimbursement, team events, and fun extras.