Head of US Commercial
Join Our Growing Legal TeamThe opportunity:
Due to our rapid global expansion, we're looking for the next addition to our legal team, who will negotiate commercial agreements for teams across the Company, advising and collaborating with personnel across all levels.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, people management and development, creating department-level and company-level procedures, policies and ways of working together; excellent problem-solving skills; and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Lead and manage a diverse group of in-house commercial attorneys across the United States
- Provide strategic direction on the U.S. commercial legal teams’ delivery model and collaboration models with business teams across the Company
- Lead the U.S. commercial team in its development of policies and procedures for contract negotiation and review internally within the commercial legal department and in partnership with business teams across the Company
- Draft, negotiate and review different types of agreements for a multitude of business teams across the Company (third party vendor and service provider agreements, statements of work, and master service agreements); mentor and assist your team in doing the same
- Advise, support and coach a multitude of business teams on risk, negotiating points and agreement structures with third party vendors; mentor and assist your team in doing the same
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Flexport’s overall business objectives
- Work with finance team and procurement team to design and implement scalable internal processes and procedures to ensure maintenance of contracts repository, global commercial agreement review and approval process, authorized signatory policies, and more
You should have:
- Experience managing a team (ideally of attorneys and paralegals)
- JD and bar admission to practice
- 8 + years of professional experience; in-house experience is strongly preferred
- Practical experience and solid knowledge of commercial and contract law
- Comfort with handling the multitude of topics that arise in the commercial contract context such as privacy, data protection, IP rights
- Knowledge of the transportation, shipping or logistics industries is a plus. Alternatively, a desire and commitment to learning the major commercial issues in the Company’s deals with customers, vendors and third parties
- A passion for closing deals
- Ability to work on your own and prioritize multiple, often competing for deliverables while managing expectations meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels, especially your direct reports
- Ability to work as a team member of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across deal types and time zones
- Excellent communication skills to interact with both internal departments and external business clients while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and thorough manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. Read about three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.