Head of Legal
Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that’s making shopping for financial protection products faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since 2014, we’ve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in fintech and helped more than 4 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
About the role...
As the first legal hire at Policygenius, you will directly report to the CEO and play a critical role in building the internal legal function and driving strategic objectives at the company. This position will involve handling day-to-day legal matters for the company, and problem-solving and execution across a mix of short and long-term priority business initiatives. You’ll need to toggle between legal and business matters, and be able to connect the dots. You should be able to drive an initiative with limited starting information, take ownership over results, and see ideas through to implementation.
- Manage, with outside counsel as necessary, legal affairs for the company, including: regulatory compliance, intellectual property, data privacy and security and licensing
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of business and legal contracts (including independent contractor agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, service agreements and product terms and conditions)
- Advise internal stakeholders on legal issues, compliance and business risks; recommend approaches that balance business risk with strategic priorities
- Manage relationships with outside counsel and lead cross-functional legal workstreams with internal departments
- Support the CEO and board with strategic and financing transactions, including: deal structuring, due diligence, review and negotiation of deal agreements, and execution
- Advise and assist with matters of corporate governance, organizational structure, and entity management (including routine corporate filings)
- Support the CEO in corporate governance and board management duties (e.g., preparation of board resolutions, consents and minutes of board meetings)
- Be the right hand to the CEO in the company’s annual strategic planning process, leading as necessary the research, materials preparation and stakeholder meetings to create and implement high-impact corporate strategy
- Lead cross-functional efforts to identify and evaluate the strategic impact of new opportunities in Product, Marketing, Operations, Finance, and People
- Own special projects end-to-end for the CEO. This could include: discovery work on new product & service offerings; evaluating potential acquisition opportunities; researching and briefing leadership on the competitive landscape and industry trends; and leading the implementation of high-priority company initiatives
- Strong academic credentials, including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar required)
- Minimum of 2 years of top-tier law firm, clerking and/or in-house experience with a focus on corporate matters
- Minimum of 2 years of top-tier consulting firm experience (making decks and building models is old hat to you)
- Experience in contract drafting, review and negotiations
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to balance the strategic with the tactical
- A sense of urgency and the ability to achieve impact in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to stay calm under pressure, work independently, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and effectively manage deliverables with time-sensitive deadlines
- A low-ego, team-player mindset and the ability to work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly and simply explain complex ideas
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)