About The Role:
As Namely’s General Counsel you’ll take the lead in all corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. You’ll provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. You’ll be directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts. In addition, you’ll drive and foster a culture of ethics and compliance throughout the organization.
- Provides strategic legal advice to the executive team on the wide variety of matters that arise at a fast growing technology company
- Manages relationships with all external counsel
- Develops a premier legal function to support all business functions effectively and efficiently as Namely scales
Regulatory & Compliance
- Develops, in partnership with external counsel, a comprehensive set of compliance practices for Namely employees across all areas of the business, including insurance brokerage, payroll and HR
- Implements compliance policies among Namely team members, including sales, product and operations
- Maintains best-in-breed compliance policies and ensures continued effectiveness in a ever shifting regulatory environment (including ongoing internal training efforts)
- Partners with the Security Department on security, regulatory and compliance protocols, current and anticipated, at state, federal and international levels.
- As Corporate Secretary, attends Board of Directors meetings, Board committees, and Shareholder meetings.
- Represents Company’s legal interests and provide assurance of strong corporate governance and general legal housekeeping before investors, partners and co-partners, regulatory agencies, legislative bodies, auditors, and trade groups.
- Prepares the company for a successful IPO
Transactional, Employment, and Other Responsibilities
- Leads and / or supports all corporate negotiations and transactions
- Leads the structuring, drafting, negotiating, and closing of strategic corporate partnerships
- Works closely with sales, business development, operations, marketing, people operations, and product teams to provide sound legal advice to advance the business
- Advises on employment matters, corporate governance issues, regulatory matters, and intellectual property development and protection
- Supervises the drafting and negotiation of various commercial, technology, and corporate agreements
- Provides legal and strategic advice, in conjunction with management and outside counsel, with respect to any litigation matters involving Namely
- Assists in other areas, as needed, including real estate, insurance, risk management
What we're looking for
- Ambitious, self-motivated, enthusiastic, industrious, and hardworking with a sense of urgency. Possesses the highest of ethical standards.
- 15+ years of legal experience with increasing responsibility which demonstrates a capacity to drive projects and advise executives on the implementation of sound solutions to regulatory, compliance and other legal issues.
- A combination experience in private practice from a well-respected law firm and experience as in-house counsel (either as General Counsel, Associate/Deputy General Counsel or VP, Legal)
- Prior experience with the SaaS industry businesses as outside or in house counsel.
- Experience in human capital management, payroll and insurance brokerage industries is a plus
- Experience as General Counsel for a public company. IPO and capital raise experience a plus
- Curious by nature; possesses strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including direct, candid and concise communication style
- Unafraid to develop new models when the old shoe doesn’t fit any longer.
- Ability to find workable solutions to complicated regulatory questions.
- Enjoys collaborating with colleagues to arrive at the best solutions for the business.
- JD degree from ABA accredited law school.
- Must be admitted to NY or CA State Bar (in good standing) or eligible for admission as Registered In-House Counsel
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.