Research Internship (Spring/Summer 2019, Ph.D. candidates)
Type: Full Time
Experience: All Levels
Who we are:
We are Dataminr; we transform vast social media feeds into real-time, actionable alerts. Our clients are the first to know about high-impact events and critical breaking information, enabling them to act faster and stay one step ahead.
Our groundbreaking technology detects, classifies, and determines the significance of public information. We have revolutionized the way relevant information reaches the right people in corporate security, news, the public sector, and finance.
Along the way, we've been referred to as the “super tool of journalists and hedge funds” while also receiving numerous awards and accolades from our clients, including being recognized by CNBC as one of the world’s 50 most disruptive private technology companies in 2016 and being named to the definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world by Forbes in 2017.
Based in NYC, a career at Dataminr offers the ability to make an individual impact at a rapidly growing tech startup while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009, backed by the world’s leading venture and growth technology investors, and 400 talented employees around the globe.
Who you are:
You’re a Ph.D. candidate who has published in top tier conferences and are passionate about having a positive impact on the world. You are enthusiastic about working on some of the most challenging problems in AI, working in a highly collaborative environment and directly contributing to products while advancing the state of the art. You are very creative, can work independently, and are an excellent collaborator and communicator.
- Perform research to advance the state of the art and solve specific problems at scale in one or more of the following areas: NLP, HCI, Machine Learning/Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Complex Networks.
- Work closely with a diverse, interdisciplinary team on a specific project to be completed during the internship.
- Excel in placing a human-centered focus on the work (context, end-user impact, etc), finding solutions that work in practice and have significant impact.
- Must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Ideal candidates will have had prior internship experience.
- Outstanding publication record in the candidate’s field of study (CVPR, CHI, WWW, RecSys, ICCV, NIPS, ICML, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set up experiments and demonstrate progress through principled used of metrics.
Our offering of competitive benefits and perks include:
- Company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, vision, disability and life
- Flexible spending account to be used for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) savings plan
- Generous leave
- Daily catered lunch
- A kitchen fully stocked with snacks and beverages
- Discounted Gym Membership
Note: For this role, only candidates with Ph.D.s in the areas above will be considered. If you do not meet that requirement please consider either the Data Scientist or other positions.
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.