SVP, People Strategy
First, some data on our team’s growth.
- 2015 - 66 teammates
- 2016 - 104 teammates
- 2017 - 168 teammates
- 2018 - 209 teammates
- 2019 - target of 320
We’ve grown this fast without burning any money. Said another way, our revenue has grown very fast.
That’s the great news.
While attacking a massive market and having a great product have certainly helped, the #1 driver of our sustained and continued growth will be the team.
And for this reason, we are seeking an amazing SVP, People Strategy.
We will describe the role below a bit but first, it’s important to describe what this role isn’t. We are not looking for a classic head of HR whose focus is primarily on the administration and operations of HR. Those are clearly vital and are part of the SVP, People Strategy’s remit but that is not where the position’s responsibilities end.
We are looking for someone to manage strategy, processes, and execution related to building, developing and retaining an exceptional and empowered team.
We need a leader with a strategic, tactical and systems-driven mindset.
We are looking for someone who can help develop and recruit the next generation of leaders at CB Insights.
The SVP, People Strategy will lead and grow our overall People organization.
Key responsibilities for the People Team (herein “PT”) which the SVP will lead are detailed below.
Building the team
We have ambitious plans to grow and that means we need a PT that can partner with leaders in the organization to align our people recruitment strategy and recruitment team with our business strategy.
In order to win the proverbial “war for talent”, the PT will need to strengthen our employer brand and make us an employer of choice. This is about storytelling and brand-building. We have a phenomenal story, technology, business model and team already so the ingredients are there to build a fantastic employer brand. We need the PT to bring this to life and then educate everyone involved in the hiring process so that they can communicate this to future teammates.
Once we’ve attracted candidates, from entry level to senior executive, the PT will use data and systems to ensure that we are consistently and rigorously identifying candidates that are most likely to succeed at CB Insights. PT will ensure the candidate experience with us is stellar and will develop strategies that help us increase offer acceptance rates.
PT will work with their peers at CBI to also recommend and evaluate strategies, when relevant, to grow the team beyond NYC by setting up remote teams, satellite offices or through other innovative structures.
Once a talented individual lands at CB Insights, the PT’s role shifts to talent management & development.
Talent Management & Development
This area entails a great deal.
It begins with onboarding which is absolutely critical but goes further as we are most interested in quick and successful integration of new teammates. The PT will work with business partners to develop strategies that help accelerate a new teammate’s time to proficiency and mastery in their role.
In addition, the PT will work to develop learning and development (L&D) programs at the company and function-specific levels that:
- Develop future leaders at CBI
- Improve decision quality and speed of decision-making at CBI
Function-specific L&D will be developed in partnership with business partners to ensure that the people at CBI are enhancing the skills they require to be successful in their areas of focus/expertise.
The PT will play a key role in the strategy and determination of CBI’s organizational design. In particular, we are looking for the PT to create a highly legible organizational design that scales with the organization and also creates clarity on roles, responsibilities and goals.
Talent management will be a key area of focus for the PT covering everything from our performance management processes to our review schedules and process (both up and down the organization). The talent management process should ensure there are appropriate feedback cycles within and across teams that enable us to identify, recognize and reward exceptional effort as well as proactively identify opportunities for learning & development or coaching and which also address more long-term challenges. Building compensation and incentives plans that recognize, reward & motivate our best talent is critical.
Finally, talent management & development will create strategies, processes, tactics and communication strategies that maintain CBI’s culture of high standards, humility, helpfulness and hard work.
- Demonstrated experience leading a company through rapid growth
- Demonstrated experience managing and building a high performance team
- Must be forward-thinking with technology and understand how technology can be used as a strategic lever in the People organization
- As a leader
- 10+ years of formal people strategy / strategic human resources / recruiting leadership experience, preferably in a fast-growing, dynamic company
- Track record leading high-performance teams of 10+ professionals
- Impeccable ability to recruit top tier talent via traditional channels as well as creative ones
- Experience building total rewards programs that drive strong output and employee retention
- Strength in balancing the desires of the People department with the needs of the overall company
- As a People professional
- Track record of developing and leading high functioning recruiting and people teams
- Detail-oriented, data-driven and analytical when making decisions
- Strong business acumen and the ability to translate business strategy into people initiatives
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing business priorities, exhibit flexibility and composure in ambiguity
- Should thrive being a cultural agent of change. Experience leading through change is essential
- Experience developing and overseeing the adoption of internal programs to support the organization
- Ownership and past experience related to benefits, compensation, HR policies, immigration, compliance, diversity and inclusion
- Strength in managing relationships with internal partners and third parties such as lawyers, insurance providers, and other service providers
Additional keys to success
- Move fast - We are a challenger brand. Speed is a weapon. We believe an imperfect but mostly right answer today is better than a perfect answer tomorrow. We want to test and launch new ideas quickly. Being tenacious and relentlessly resourceful is key.
- Magnet for talent - You must have managerial experience including building amazing teams and leading and developing teams with diverse skill sets
- Humble - We have developed strong antibodies to arrogance or hints of arrogance
- Helpful - This role will require building strong partnerships throughout CBI and with vendors. Being a helpful colleague is important.
- High IQ - You will be developing and analyzing a number of markets and business ideas which may be quite varied. You should be able to deal with ambiguity, understand ideas quickly and use a systems thinking mindset to look at an opportunity to understand the constituent parts and where the opportunities and challenges may arise and how to prioritize.
- Great communicator - You should be able to synthesize information quickly and cogently and present it via the appropriate medium (presentation, phone, blog post, etc).
- High standards - This one doesn’t require much explanation
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.