People Operations Manager
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
As a People Operations Manager at Cockroach Labs, you will help foster and create programs to support our unique culture. We're looking for an HR expert who can balance the need to be a strategic partner along with the ability to be hands-on with all elements of the employee experience. Creating a compelling, engaging, and meaningful experience for all employees, you will shape how our organization scales by thinking creatively, using data to inform your decisions, improving and creating current processes. At Cockroach Labs, you will take on any challenges that come your way so we can do even greater things, together.
- Create, execute, and manage HR procedures and programs that employees experience throughout the employee lifecycle (benefits, transfers, performance management, and leaves of absence).
- Provide leadership and support to managers and employees in the areas of performance counseling, employee retention, policy interpretation and implementation, conflict resolution, and integrating our culture into our HR programs.
- Design and execute company-wide performance management programs, feedback, promotion, and compensation cycles, as well as other critical people programs.
- Partner with the People team to think creatively about the employee experience - finding ways to improve every employee interaction.
- Oversee benefits administration and payroll via our PEO, the immigration and visa process in partnership with our external legal counsel, HRIS and vendor management.
- Ensure compliance and be the in-house expert on all employment law related matters. Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Own people operations systems roadmap and self-service strategy to support long-term and service delivery goals, and ensure the highest levels of data management and accuracy for all HR Systems.
In your first 30 days, you will assess where we're with our people programs and where we need to be. You will review our current programs, systems, and data so you can gain insight into where we currently are. You will meet across the team with our employees and leadership to build relationships that will help you better understand our needs. It is imperative that you take this time, so you have an understanding of what our people value.
In your first 60 days, you will start expanding your relationships with our external partners, like our PEO and immigration counsel. You will also begin auditing our processes and look for areas to improve our programs. At this time, you will start making improvements and identifying additional needs within our organization.
After 3 months, you will be integrated into the team. You will have taken ownership of your role and started working directly with department heads supporting their needs. You will also partner with our Employee Experience and Programs Manager to ensure the employee experience is comprehensive and addressing the needs of our people as we scale.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of employee relations and benefits administration, including EEO, FLSA, FMLA and CFRA, ADA, Workers’ Compensation, COBRA.
- Strong experience designing and implementing scalable HR programs, processes, and systems in technology companies.
- Interest in process improvement with a passion for finding ways to improve processes.
- Solid communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and organizations skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- The ability to influence, engage, and partner closely with appropriate business partners across all levels of the organization in planning, change management, and conflict resolution.
- Comfort with ambiguity, finding solutions, building, and action.
- 6+ years of progressive experience in Human Resources/People Operations required.
- 3+ years of experience working with technology companies with a preference for experience in a fast-growing company.
- BS/BA degree
Reporting to Lindsay Grenawalt - Chief People Officer
Lindsay focuses on attracting, developing, and retaining the best possible talent for Cockroach Labs. She was first exposed to the world of startups at Google Ventures then moving to Yext as the VP of People Operations, where she was responsible for growing the company from 150 to over 400 employees across the United States, the Netherlands, and the UK. When she is not at work, you can find her exploring the culinary delights of New York and attempting to recreate them at home.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]