Head of Learning & Development
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and a leading commercial partner, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year (and beyond), we’ll grow quickly to expand into new markets with large clinical and operations teams in the field and we’ll also grow our headquarters headcount to support this expansion. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business in that s/he will have an opportunity to build a national platform for learning and development that supports all staff in all geographies in a highly efficient yet impactful manner.
- Build and lead Cityblock’s learning and development function, focused on supporting and growing the organization’s most valuable resource - its people - throughout the entire employee lifecycle
- Own the end-to-end process of supporting our team members in becoming more capable and effective day-to-day in their current roles, as well as ensuring we give back by helping them develop long-range careers. Includes onboarding, end-to-end mentorship, manager development/coaching, employee engagement, and insights
- Serve as the subject-matter expert in adapting proven best practices in multi-modal and technology-enabled distributed workforce development tools to Cityblock’s high-touch, mission-focused care model
- Bring a strong culture of rigorous experimentation and execution
- Build an analytical framework for defining goals, metrics and success criteria within the learning and development function
- Partner with clinical, operations and product domain experts to equip them with the tools to identify opportunities to better support employees in execution against business goals
- Provide thought leadership and a diverse perspective as to how Cityblock can deliver best-in-class experiences for its employees
- Design and develop Cityblock’s learning strategy, curricula, and programs for all functions, both Block and Hub, across all stages of the employee lifecycle
- Deploy in-house, scalable solutions using modern learning and content delivery modalities including synchronous remote learning methodologies, blended classroom learning, interactive e-learning modules, videos, hands-on labs, job aides, facilitator guides and resource materials
- Deeply understand Cityblock’s culture, distributed workforces, diverse members/consumers and product technology in order to design the best L&D program for the organization
- Design and deliver leadership development initiatives for associates at critical transition points in their careers (e.g., becoming a new manager, managing other managers, transitioning from functional manager to influential leader)
- Oversee all L&D programs, spanning the development of an “Academy” that reinforces our care model and culture throughout all markets, Lunch & Learns and conference attendance programs/budgets
- Perform needs and task analysis, scope projects, and evaluate existing documentation to identify the most appropriate training approach and content to meet the learning needs of each audience across multiple locations
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional subject matter experts and other key Cityblock stakeholders to support L&D initiatives
- Ensure and drive best practices standardization across all projects, content and sites. Be responsive to the fast-paced nature of innovation and revise content in a structured, standardized and organized manner
- Lead L&D planning (annual and quarterly) and resource allocation, collaborating with all functional leaders from Block, Clinical and Operations to translate strategy into operational and tactical activities
- Partner closely with Head of People to build L&D programs that reinforce Cityblock’s strategies for talent acquisition, career progression and performance management
You’d be a good fit if:
- You are a self-starter, entrepreneurial in nature, able to chart a path through complex, cross-functional work
- You are deeply data-driven and outcomes oriented
- You have 7-10+ years of expertise leading learning and development in a fast-growing, distributed, services-oriented organization, building and scaling highly-effective processes to ensure that the workforce are ready and able to tackle just about anything they encounter in their daily workflows
- You have hired and managed learning and development teams or in similar people-growth functions previously
- You have worked in a high-growth startup environment with a strong operating capability
Nice to have:
- Experience with highly-distributed workforces in a tech-enabled environment
- Product management / technology build experience
- Experience within a value-based healthcare environment
Please include in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.