Vice President, Finance
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Come and join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
We are seeking a Vice President, Finance to lead our finance and accounting-related initiatives, set the strategic vision, and manage financially-oriented conversations with external stakeholders. We are headed through an exciting time at Cockroach Labs with increased revenue from our customer relationships. We are excited to work with an individual who thrives in a rapid growth environment and enjoys building out robust finance and accounting functions to support all associated company needs and managing fundraising/corp dev diligence efforts. This position will report directly to the CEO with extensive cross-functional interaction.
- Lead financial models and forecasting process on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis to support attainment of the company's immediate growth objectives as well as long-term growth objectives (3-5 years).
- Partner with CEO and CRO on company-wide budgeting, forecasting, cash forecasting, and strategic initiatives.
- Develop annual operating plans, sales forecasts, periodic forecasts, and forecasting schedules.
- Develop and improve dashboards to track business KPIs; identify trends and proactively engage with functional leaders to stay ahead of the curve, keeping up with industry best practices.
- Build a business partner-oriented finance team and establish strong partnerships with each functional department head in initiatives like the annual budgeting process.
- Implement and manage software, systems, and processes to supporting accounting, financial planning, and payment processing.
- Lead, develop, and mentor the finance and accounting team.
External Partnerships & Reporting
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders (e.g., Board of Directors, banking partners and potential investors) regarding company finances.
- Lead financial due diligence for fundraising efforts, large deals, contracts, and negotiations.
- Own the company’s annual equity (409a) valuations and coordinate with outside counsel for equity administration matters surrounding option and restricted stock grants.
- Calculate stock compensation expense using equity administration platform.
Accounting & Payroll
- Oversee monthly accounting close activities and ensure compliance with local, state and federal government reporting requirements.
- Document internal controls, policies and procedures related to financial reporting and compliance.
- Manage audits, tax advisors and 3rd party professional service providers.
- Manage payroll systems and processes, including managing tax and incentives strategy, and compensation planning.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all processes internal and external, providing timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication, and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization, which includes implementing automation at every stage..
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
In your first 30 days, you will assess where we are with our finances and where we need to be. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company. We want you to take this time to ask questions, build relationships (internal and external), and generate ideas on how to lay the foundation for your team’s success. This foundation will help you will understand how to navigate our environment and give you a grasp of the current business model.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. At this time, you should have a solid understanding of the company’s operations, systems, and procedures. You should also understand where our pain points are and have a solid plan in place for an immediate strategy to make an impact, with a long-term vision in place.
- Highly operational leader who can own the full spectrum of financial responsibilities for a rapidly growing SaaS startup.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset: enjoys the challenge of a fast-paced, complex environment and is highly motivated, proactive and detailed-oriented.
- Strong understanding of SaaS metrics and how to manage against them.
- Prior experience leading fundraising diligence efforts, ideally at a growth stage company.
- Strong technical, analytical skills.
- Understanding of GAAP and experience managing the accounting function.
- Strong ethical standards and integrity.
- 10+ years of relevant experience with at least 5 years as a Director or VP of Finance.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]