Head of Investments
Greater NYC Area
Perch is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it all, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy.
Every year in the U.S., $1.8 trillion of single family residences transact, generating over $80 billion of brokers fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Perch offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home -- less intimidating.
Perch is headquartered in New York City with offices throughout Texas. We have raised $270+ million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice and Juxtapose.
Perch has developed a home buying and selling experience that brings control and convenience to customers. By harnessing the power of data science, technology, and human-centered design, we’ve developed a seller experience that delivers a market price offer for your home in 24 hours with the ability to close at a time of your choosing. No home showings, no repairs to do, no contingent offers, and no fear of the offer falling through before closing. It’s the way a home sale always should have worked. For home buyers, we’re pioneering a new way of shopping by removing financing contingencies and simplifying the whole experience from home discovery through mortgage approval to close.
The Role & Responsibilities
The Role & Responsibilities
The Head of Investments will be a critical member of the Perch team, located in New York City or Austin, TX and reporting to Head of Finance and Real Estate.
As the Head of Investments, you will:
- Be responsible for building and scaling Perch’s underwriting processes. Underwriting is a critical driver of Perch’s growth and success by ensuring that we are purchasing and selling every home at a fair and reasonable price. Our underwriting and valuation system is core to our brand, customer experience, and business sustainability.
- Work closely with our data science / machine learning team to develop, refine and scale our underwriting and valuation strategy, processes, and tools.
- Work closely with “field underwriters” / investment associates who are touring prospective home purchases.
- Build and lead a rapidly growing team of underwriting analysts.
- Collaborate with data science, customer experience / marketing, field operations, corporate operations, FP&A, and other teams at Perch to help build and refine overall business processes, drive growth and profitability.
- Partner with the Head of Finance Real Estate to ensure all underwriting and valuation KPI targets are met on a consistent basis. You will monitor company-wide and market-level KPIs/metrics on a regular basis and develop initiatives to optimize our pricing accuracy.
- Be a champion for Perch throughout the housing industry!
- ~7-10+ years prior experience in an investment, asset pricing, asset management, or risk management role.
- Experience building and leading a team, particularly in geographically disparate locations.
- Proven track record of success in goal achievement.
- Experience using software to manage operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
Bonus Experience (Preferred, but not Required)
- General experience in real estate, either residential or commercial, in a quantitatively-oriented management role.
- Specific experience in single family real estate investment analysis and comparative market analysis research (e.g. experience with real estate brokerage, SFR investing/operations, or homebuilding).
- Background in real estate economics / macroeconomics.
- Experience partnering with technology teams to build scalable systems and product.
- MBA degree.
- Superior analytical skills and attention to detail with an extremely data-driven mentality.
- Results orientation with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches. Solutions-focused mindset.
- A strong multi-tasker with the ability to prioritize work based on business and operational needs.
- Quantitative, systems-oriented thinker.
- Strong leader with track record of inspiring and motivating teams. Highly effective at building collaborative relationships across our entire organization.
- An entrepreneurial mindset. Sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build new solutions.
- High energy and action-oriented with a history of getting things done in complex, fast moving environments. Successful in scrappy and entrepreneurial environments, with a drive to get things done.
- Track record of good business judgment with maturity, diplomacy, and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong and structured communicator well versed in clearly communicating complex concepts to various stakeholders.
- People describe you as: Passionate, a leader, a strong communicator, and someone that “gets things done.”
Read Full Job Description