Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
As a Finance Associate at Cityblock, you will support the build of our corporate operations as we scale. You will join Cityblock at a critical point in our growth trajectory as we continue to expand rapidly over the upcoming year. Working closely with a growing Finance team and other business leaders, you'll support our continued build of a robust finance function. This is an exceptional opportunity for an eager, early-stage professional with familiarity of financial systems and a great eye for detail. This role is packed with ambitious challenges that will serve as the foundational building blocks for the continued success of the organization.
- Be a central point of contact, and expert, on all topics related to financial/accounting systems. Become a go-to team member who can resolve any question about reimbursement and spend policies, outstanding invoices, and our financial tools
- Support financial operations by managing and improving current workflows for accounts payable/receivable, expenses submission, vendor relations, and payroll
- Play a key role directing monthly books close process to ensure integrity of underlying financial transaction data
- Support financial planning & analysis work to devise growth budgets and then evaluate our current spending against goal
- Provide quantitative muscle to model cross-market growth targets given risk-based revenue projections
- Analyze spending centers across the organization to inform managers and establish operational guardrails as needed
- Manage training and setup for new employees around financial tools, including credit card usage, approval hierarchies, spending limits, and expense reimbursement processes
- Draft pre-audit memos and policies that provide clear controls around a robust finance stack
- Partner across accounting team to create finance workflows that minimize administrative burden for the organization while automating workflows
- Establish the finance department as a truly service-oriented function that supports team members across the organization in any of their budgeting, invoicing, reimbursement needs
- Continue to take on new responsibilities and projects in an ever expanding role that will evolve alongside our company’s needs
You’d be a good fit if:
- You hold a Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of work experience
- You have basic exposure to financial systems and workflows; you're comfortable managing a controlled system and analyzing data for trends
- You know your way around a spreadsheet and can develop models and analyses from scratch
- You have demonstrated success in project management and end-to-end execution
- You have fanatical attention to detail and enjoy staying organized
- You have fast-twitch muscles; every day is dynamic, and we look for teammates who can flex between projects with ease
- You are highly proactive and always follow-up. You get to the bottom of a problem. You tackle today's problem, while simultaneously improving workflows to prevent repeat issues in the future
- You are highly adaptable and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. You self-direct and learn.
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills. You can extract insights from noise and are an effective written & oral communicator who can deliver sharp presentations
- You’re generally calm and good humored, and you use solid judgement at all times
Nice to have:
- Experience and interest in the healthcare sector, specifically Medicaid and Medicare systems OR
- High growth startup experience, specifically technology/VC-backed
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.