Director of Revenue Strategy
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We’re seeking an energetic, multifaceted rockstar to lead revenue strategy at theSkimm. This is a new role that will be in charge of exploring and building out new revenue streams. The focus is on identifying and testing new areas for revenue growth, with or without partnerships, as well as exploring how to expand emerging revenue streams including commerce and licensing. This person will be a self-motivated contributor who is equal parts ideation, strategy, modeling and revenue analyst, operations, as well as someone who can clearly articulate the brand’s value proposition and guidelines. Your role is mission critical to the success of our business long term by decreasing reliance on advertising revenue.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Responsible for identifying (proactive and inbound) and growing new revenue opportunities involving sponsorship, commerce, licensing and membership
- Ability to lead the cycle end to end from market sizing, creating a business model, sourcing ideal partners if needed, contract negotiation, implementation and on-going partner management.
- Responsible for drafting and negotiating business terms, and partnering with legal counsel to execute partnership agreements
- Develop business plans for partnerships including goals, timing, revenue and profit
- Establish and manage productive relationships with key partners and relevant industry players
- Build consensus internally around business development opportunities
- Self-starter and ability to work autonomously
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Direct and relevant experience in monetization strategy for membership organizations
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience either in business development or corp development
- Foundational experience in management consulting or investment banking at top-tier firm
- A dynamic, proactive individual who is a strategic thinker with amazing interpersonal, project management and organizational skills
- Proven success collaborating and building consensus across multiple departments, while maintaining tact and diplomacy
- Readiness to close the deal, whenever and wherever the opportunity exists – experience in leading the end-to-end business development process
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, stay organized, and prioritize responsibilities
- A foundation in financial and business analysis is critical for success
- Strong experience in spreadsheets, creating business models and presenting investment cases
- Proven record of creating and growing new and current revenue streams
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm’s brand and products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders – ability to present theSkimm’s proposition for partners across the ecosystem at various stages of the partnership process
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly “Skimm’e A Drink!” happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY