Web Application Developer
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. Students and teachers use Newsela to find digital content from hundreds of the best sources—from National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools and analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools and districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.
Web Application Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity and personalization. We believe that code is language and we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other and the company as a whole. Developers work closely with product managers, designers, and domain experts to build software that’s beautiful and useful. If you love working on features that make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Write thoughtful, literate code under the guidance of a Senior Web Developer.
- Work on an interdisciplinary team to translate high-level project goals into concrete tasks.
- Bring technical expertise and creativity to your projects and conversations.
- Handle sometimes competing priorities through good time management and communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 3 years of professional full-stack web application development experience.
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- Hands-on experience with front-end frameworks, particularly React and Redux (or another Flux-like architecture).
- Demonstrated ability to be self-driven and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience with Git and code collaboration in teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- An eye for interaction design, user experience, and finishing touches.
- Strong expertise in any of the following areas:
- human-computer interaction, particularly accessibility;
- mobile development, including responsive design;
- operations, including AWS, dev-ops or data engineering;
- data science, including machine learning, statistics or data visualization.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.