Technical Lead - Diner Services
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa). While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Diner Services team is tasked with designing, building and maintaining a suite of backend services used by diner, driver, restaurateur, and internal-facing web and native apps. These provide shared functionality such as authentication, authorization, real-time access to diner-specific information such as preferences and order history, and geolocation. As a technical lead of the team, you will collaborate with data science, product, marketing, and other engineering teams to identify and implement backend features to enable rapid innovation.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Work with product and business leaders to determine the roadmap and deliverables for the Diner services suite of products.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Write and maintain a clean, well-tested, and well-documented code.
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications(e-commerce preferred)
- 2+ years experience with technical leadership responsibilities
- Provides mentorship and coaching on career growth and development in a formal setting
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience with service oriented, RESTful API design
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with Docker, or similar containerized solutions and Mesos or Kubernetes is a plus.
- Familiarity or experience with security-related development, geolocation-related development, or fine-tuning large-scale full-text search is a plus.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.