Tech Lead, Backend
Team Lead will provide technical and architectural leadership for an engineering squad. This position will conceptualize, design, build and deploy new and innovative products and services. The team lead will work alongside product and design teams to unify the Moda brand, cultivate the customer experience and consolidate our operational systems. The team lead will have a lot of autonomy and be able to influence technical direction and work on new and existing projects. This role includes hands-on coding, mentoring developers, influencing product vision, and designing system architecture.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as a technical voice. Assume technical responsibility for a family of systems - build new services and functionality, manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with system engineers to increase the scale of our production systems
- Lead team in defining technical requirements and solutions and drive projects through to completion.
- Work with product, tech, and business leaders to determine the roadmap and deliverables
- Able to work within a geographically distributed team of developers comprised of a combination of employees and contractors with both an onshore and offshore component.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, software development lifecycle best practices, and new technologies.
- Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Grow as a technical leader, mentor junior engineers, and teach industry-wide best practices.
- Actively participate in all phases of the SDLC including analysis, design, development, testing and implementation.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Professional experience with more than one development language.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Engineering)
- 7+ years of relevant experience including e-commerce, web application development and/or systems integration.
- Object Oriented Analysis/Design/Development
- Strong experience with XML/XSL/XSLT/XSD, JSON, HTTP, REST, APIs.
- Experience working using Agile methodology and in fast paced environment.
- Familiarity with various hosting models (cloud/PaaS/on-prem).
- Experience in a high-paced, high-growth environment working with urgency under deadlines and milestones.
- Startup mentality of getting things done - you're a self-starter that stays flexible to changes and has a positive attitude toward building a world-class company from scratch.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to B2B customers
- Familiar with full stack technologies including Postgres, Python (or similar) and can learn anything you don't already know to get the job done.
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD tools, and containerizing applications
- Proven experience in ecommerce development and integration technologies
About the Engineering team
The retail space is one of the most rapidly changing industries today, and Moda stays at the forefront of those moves because of its innovative engineering team. They’re working on some of the biggest advances in tech right now: artificial intelligence, big data analysis, machine learning, and customized, innovative tools. The entire tech stack is built in-house, using the latest tools and frameworks.
Moda is a young startup with a dynamic culture, engineers at the company can have an oversized impact with their work – advancing not only Moda’s technology, but the retail industry as a whole. Engineers aren’t told how they should implement new features — Moda has created a great culture for self-driven experimentation, innovation, and fresh ideas.
About Moda Operandi
Moda Operandi brings designer fashion collections, from established and emerging designers, straight from the runway and designer showrooms to consumers through our online marketplace and “Trunk Show” model. We recently brought on a new CEO Ganesh Srivats, ex-Tesla, with experience in building top quality products and technology. He sees us as a global platform connecting creators, curators and consumers; we are redefining how luxury fashion is bought and sold in what is predicted to be a $446 billion market by 2025. We have opportunity to rapidly scale the business globally while also investing heavily in technology, data, and customer experience to innovate on our core platform.
Backed by New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Apax Digital, Adrian Cheng|K11, LVMH, Fidelity Investments and Condé Nast, the company recently announced a $165M Series F growth investment round which it will use to fuel investments in technology and data science, expand the designer offering, continued international expansion, and increased development across several key business verticals. This will fuel our ambition to reach $1B+ in revenue by 2021.
- An Agile, Tech/Product-driven environment
- Unlimited PTO
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- 401k matching
- Dog-friendly office