Paxos is the first Blockchain-powered Trust, building products to simplify settlement and eliminate risk. Paxos' mission is to modernize finance by mobilizing assets at the speed of the internet. Paxos is building a future where all assets-- from money to gold to securities--will be digitized and move instantaneously, 24/7. Settlement risk will cease to exist, so trillions of dollars of trapped capital can go to work in a global, frictionless economy.
- Designs the broad architecture of the product or platform and is able to get buy-in from all relevant stakeholders to make it happen. Success is measured by the ability to influence key stakeholders using data driven insights.
- Ships multiple large services, complex libraries or major pieces of infrastructure that enable the product or solution set. The impact of what they ship creates sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Provides high-level technical guidance that enables the future direction of the technology set or solution and this guidance helps anticipate and get ahead of future problems. Success is measured by forecasting problems that we need to solve for tomorrow.
- Consistently improves the effectiveness of other engineers by building tools or introducing policies that raise the level of productivity for the entire engineering organization.
How to achieve the Outcomes:
Functional Acumen Required:
- Deep understanding of major parts of our technology stack and are the technical owner of significant components of our code base. Should be able to communicate at 30,000 feet level and dive into the 10 feet level if needed
- Technical expertise capable of spotting problems or trends that are further downstream and are able to use such insight to influence senior leaders and peers
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems, cloud native applications and system design
Search for the truth:
- Focus on the “why”. Proactively asks questions to understand the problem we are trying to solve
- Understands the tradeoffs needed in creating good software in their area, which is often times an entire product or platform feature
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements (lack of clarity, inconsistencies, technical limitations) for their own work and adjacent work, and communicate these issues early to help course-correct.
Be An Owner:
- Capable of setting short to medium term strategic direction for part of the technology stack, identifying areas of critical need based on future growth and developing roadmaps to attack those problems.
- Act in a very hands-on role, and as such, contribute significantly to both important projects as well as experimental projects that will spin future innovation.
- Takes the initiative to identify and solve important problems even if they are not in their domain or work area because of the ability to spot problems downstream and work with others to fix them before they become fires.
Shared Commitment to Excellence:
- Serve as a mentor and “go-to” person to junior members on the team and advise them on key skills and experiences that they need to pick up
- Introduces best practices and style guides that ensure consistency across the entire engineering organization
- Adept at reliably and consistently reducing complexity in order to get more done with less work when presented with a complex problem, process or existing system
- Communicates effectively, consistently and in a timely fashion, across functions and is able to work well with the Product Engineers, Product Managers and Business teams. The ability to get work done across teams goes beyond mere proactive status updates (although that is expected as well).
- Play a leadership role in making the right trade-offs with other teams even when doing so might mean more work for themselves, as long as that is the right thing to do.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.