Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy all types of insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve become the nation's leading insurance marketplace, raising over $52 million of venture capital and helping more than 5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're growing rapidly and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of INC's best workplaces two years in a row!
Software Engineering at Policygenius
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free and experiment driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineers like yourself.
As a Staff Engineer you will be designing and creating products, pairing with and mentoring software engineers, and researching the next wave of technology to build out our technical vision. At Policygenius, staff engineers are adaptable technical leaders who are the core of the engineering department. You facilitate the innovation engine that makes for a great engineering team that is focused on the future.
- Drive technical decisions on a multi-functional, Agile team alongside product management, product design, and product marketing
- Collaborate with engineering leadership to create a technical vision for the products of tomorrow
- Develop applications using modern web technologies and tools, including React, GraphQL, gRPC, Kubernetes, & BigQuery
- Easily deploy code to Google Cloud with a fully built-out devops pipeline
- Experiment with an open-minded team that is always exploring new technologies
- Hone your mentorship and software design skills by training other developers, code pairing, and facilitating workshops
- Ship exceptional products that people love! (we’re proud to be building a company that has customers who consistently refer their friends and family, with an industry-leading NPS of ~73!)
- 6+ years of experience as a software engineer, designing applications and/or service-based systems
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- Proven track record of mentorship
- A desire to be involved in all aspects of the product life-cycle
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Significant experience in two or more of the following:
- Data Engineering: ETL / Data Warehousing
- Test Engineering
- React or an Equivalent Web Framework
- Relational Databases
- Machine Learning
- Mobile Development
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)
Technologies You Will Use
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job, and always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, and better ways of getting things done.