Sr Software Engineer DevOps
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
As part of our team, you will help establish devops best practices and build services and tools that help our teams deploy, monitor, and debug the microservices that will power the next generation of Food Network web, mobile, and voice platforms used by millions of users each day. We’re building our services primarily using cutting edge AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, and DynamoDB (amongst many others).
1. Help the organization achieve a resilient architecture through the use of chaos engineering, monitoring, post mortems, and other SRE practices.
2. Design and improve an observability pipeline including distributed tracing and structured logging
3. Collaborate with enterprise IT, Infosec, and support teams to implement and improve capabilities and processes
4. Deliver high quality, high performance, well tested, scalable code
5. Lead a DevOps culture within the Digital Studios organization
6. Understand and help improve how our backend service teams leverage the cloud
7. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews
8. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization
9. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change
10. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress
11. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions
12. You may need to travel a few days from time to time to spend time with engineers in remote offices
* Deep knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud)
* Experience using at least one NoSQL database such as DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, etc
* Experience automating infrastructure using AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar
* Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States