ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm's Tech team is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who are comfortable building tools throughout the stack. Our mission as an engineering team is to build the connections between theSkimm's editorial team and its growing audience, wherever they are.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will be responsible for designing and building the next generation of products in theSkimm's membership offering. Although the platforms for these products may vary, the design patterns and programming principles necessary to build and distribute them are often the same. We're looking for software engineers of all experience levels to help us deliver applications and services that drive our organization forward.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Programming across Rails, Node, and/or React applications
- Building connections between theSkimm's content and its distribution platforms, often via RESTful APIs
- Offering suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS)
- Automating common development tasks using a variety of tools (scripting, Circle CI, Slack bots, etc)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Professional experience in web development at scale
- Smarts, humility, and comfort being resourceful in a fast-paced environment
- Strong critical thinking and communication skills
- A welcoming and collaborative work style
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience and mission
- Familiarity building systems that leverage AWS services like Elastic Beanstalk and RDS
- Experience with development operations and continuous integration tools (Git, Circle, Jest, etc)
- Strong SQL skills, especially familiarity with PostgreSQL
- Experience shipping and maintaining production deployments of React/Redux applications
- Experience and comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.