Software Engineer - Web UI
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer role specializing in video to help us build the best video experience on our websites. This role requires knowledge of web video and the latest video streaming technologies, frontend web development, and general technical aptitude to serve as the point person for all things video-related. Maintaining and developing our web video player project is a key facet of this role. You will work across teams to provide support on all video-related projects and learn about the different use cases, problems, and needs throughout the organization.
1. Develop and maintain the web video player used across the lifestyle web
2. Support necessary integrations such as video analytics and advertising frameworks
3. Stay up to date with modern video streaming best practices and technologies such as HLS and DASH
4. Collaborate across engineering and product teams to implement the video player across the organization’s products
5. Serve as the subject matter expert for video players in the organization
6. Automate testing of video-related use cases
7. Provide general support to frontend development efforts
8. Work with product managers and project managers on video product roadmaps
9. Participate in the on-call support rotation (rare after-hours support)
* 3+ years working with frontend frameworks and libraries professionally (Vue, React, Angular, etc)
* 5+ years working with cross-browser compatible CSS implementations.
* Experience with modern video player technology including the HTML5 player, VideoJS, and proprietary platforms such as Kaltura, JWPlayer, thePlatform/PDK, Brightcove, etc.
* Experience with build tools such as Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, etc and understand how to customize and optimize beyond out-of-the-box pre configurations
* Experience writing testable code with corresponding tests, leveraging behavior-driven frameworks such as Jasmine or Jest
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States