Software Engineer - Web Performance
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
The primary focus of this role would be drive continuous improvements to performance of our websites along with ability to configure & optimize both new and existing application stacks. This position will be embedded into product teams to work closely on various project needs and also be training operations team who support our websites.
This role may be located in either Knoxville, Tennessee or New York City, New York.
1. Develop & maintain a backlog of performance improvements accounting for total value and time to market
2. Be an advocate for web performance, provide training/brown bag sessions for the team, and stay up to date on performance best practices.
3. Collaborate across engineering and product teams to design / implement performance best practices
4. Analyze existing and future applications to maximize performance for user experience.
5. Build and maintain high-performance and memory-efficient client applications and frameworks.
6. Design, setup and manage front end optimization guidelines to improve site performance
7. Automate tasks such as reports or analysis performance & CDN metrics
8. Run performance assessments to identify bottlenecks & design appropriate optimizations
* 3+ years working with frontend frameworks and libraries professionally (Vue, React, Angular, etc)
* 5+ years working with cross-browser compatible CSS implementations.
* Experience working on SEO-driven web products is a plus.
* Experience in performance profiling and debugging tools across multiple web browsers.
* Experience with build tools such as Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, etc and understand how to customize and optimize beyond out-of-the-box pre configurations
* Experience with writing understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability.
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States