Software Engineer - Integrations
NS1’s mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers and the world. We are the market leader in DNS and traffic management software and services, and our customers include the biggest properties and largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling and processes of today’s DevOps organizations, and deliver reliability and performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, and also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
We’re looking to add a new member to our engineering department: an Integrations Engineer who can draw on their passion for infrastructure-as-code along with their broad community knowledge and connections to craft all manner of integrations for our cutting edge DNS platform. This dynamic position will involve writing and maintaining code in various languages - much of it open source - centered around getting data into and out of our platform. You’ll work on in-house repos as well as contribute to various well known community infrastructure projects. You’ll also work in our REST API and other internal systems to create and maintain integrations with other SaaS platforms.
No matter which language, you will be expected to write clean, maintainable, and fully tested code along with top notch documentation. You should have experience working on open source projects in a distributed environment (typically GitHub), including handling tasks like Pull Requests and Issues. Knowledge of various Continuous Integration systems such as Jenkins and TravisCI will be helpful. You should be familiar with the package distribution systems of various programming languages such as pip, gem, npm, etc and ideally have some experience contributing to them.
You should have good general knowledge of the modern internet infrastructure landscape, especially well known and up-and-coming infrastructure-as-code projects and various IaaS and SaaS providers in the space.
You’ll need to be able to quickly digest and understand diverse technical documentation and APIs of varying quality. Communication skills are equally important as you’ll be expected to maintain relationships with the project leaders, providers and services that you’ll be integrating with. You’ll take ownership of all the integrations and work autonomously towards aggressive development goals.
- Responsible for public GitHub page, found at http://github.com/ns1
- Represent NS1 in the open source community
- Own and manage
- Toolkits and SDKs that work with NS1, found at https://ns1.com/support/integrations
- Integrations with other SaaS platforms related to both ingesting data into our platform as well as pushing notifications externally. Examples include Pingdom, New Relic, Datadog, Catchpoint, Pagerduty
- REST API clients (to our service), in various languages (open source)
- NS1 DNS modules for various configuration management systems such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Kubernetes
- Create and maintain integration specifications and documentation. Continuously improve and simplify our integration processes
- Work with the engineering team to develop and design the integrations to external projects
- Go software development
- Kubernetes experience
- Backend developer experience
- Desire to contribute to open source projects
- Has experience building RESTful APIs and clients
- Ability to design with modern internet infrastructure operation in mind, including metrics, logging, automation, etc
Nice to have:
- Open source contributions
- Experience with third-party code bases that have backends for DNS providers
- gRPC, go-kit
- UNIX and networking knowledge
- Knowledge of distributed systems and widely distributed data pipelines
- Linux systems programming
Our technology stack at NS1, and the many systems you’ll have an opportunity to work with here:
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS platform that’s deployed on physical hardware
- Anycasted edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API and Client Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Distributed messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Go, Python, Bash, C, C++, JS
- OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
Working @ NS1
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.