Software Engineer II - Content
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly.We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Search Content Team at Grubhub helps our hungry diners find the perfect meal. Our services for Search service millions of requests per day and the teams works on the Infrastructure for Search as well as implementation of algorithms for Ranking and Relevance. If you're an engineer interested in making a significant impact on our product, this is the team for you!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Build low latency, high throughput RESTful services using
- Java programming language
- DropWizard, a simple, light-weight package with out-of-the-box support for sophisticated configuration, application metrics, logging, operational tools, and much more, to ship a production-quality web service in the shortest time possible
- Jackson, a suite of data-processing tools for Java (and the JVM platform)
- Netty, a client server framework which greatly simplifies and streamlines network programming such as protocol servers and clients
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists, and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities via
- JIRA, a tool used for bug tracking, issue tracking, and project management
- Agile workflow, to break down a large project into smaller tasks and prioritising them
- Build systems that integrate with many other real time data sources and services like
- Apache Cassandra, a highly available database providing linear scalability and fault tolerance on cloud infrastructure
- Presto, a distributed SQL query engine for running interactive analytic queries against data sources of all sizes ranging from gigabytes to petabytes
- Data Lakes in the form of hadoop clusters for storing and analyzing huge amounts of unstructured data in a distributed computing environment
- Optimize service runtime for performance and scale using
- Gatling, a powerful open-source scalability and performance testing tool for web applications,
- Datadog, for monitoring of servers, databases, tools, and services and seamlessly aggregates metrics and events across the full devops stack
- Splunk, a tool that captures, indexes, and correlates real-time data in a searchable repository from which it can generate graphs, reports, alerts, dashboards, and visualizations
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming, or Engineering related field
- 3+ years experience with large scale distributed real-time systems, consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Solid programming experience on the JVM (Java/Scala) or similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience working with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Experience with A/B testing tools and techniques
- Experience with scale and volume mobile backed systems
- API design experience
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark and other big data tools
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.