Software Engineer - Frontend / Fullstack
Greater NYC Area
At HyperScience, we use modern machine learning to turn documents into machine-readable data. Our customers receive a wide variety of documents, like life insurance applications, paystubs, utility bills, insurance claims, that must be processed quickly and accurately to better serve the people at these organizations, and their customers. Amazingly, this is all done manually today. We’re on a mission to change that!
Our product is already delivering value to large, blue-chip organizations in financial services and insurance, and we see a massive opportunity to expand to more industries and automate more business processes. We are looking for people who are excited to help us build upon this foundation and vision.
Founded in 2014 by Peter Brodsky, Vladimir Tzankov, and Krasimir Marinov, Hyperscience has raised over $48 million from SV Angel, The Stripes Group, Firstmark, Battery Ventures, and Felicis Ventures.
While at first this may not seem like a priority for a machine learning company, we see a huge opportunity in great user experience. Machine learning itself is not a product. While it’s a fundamental piece of our technology, it still must live in an ecosystem and be used by people. Human-in-the-loop is a powerful feature that allows us to do things like process anything, provide feedback loops for generating accuracy reporting, and on-demand model re-training. Our product works with people, and for people.
We're looking to grow our Application Engineering team with the addition of a Full Stack Software Engineer. You'll be implementing a modern enterprise web application, with a focus on system reliability and great user experience. You'll find practical approaches to developing end-to-end workflows for users and document processing, develops APIs, and unlock our ability to process more types of data with high quality. At HyperScience, we believe in fluidity of roles and expertise; as such, we embrace those who wish to do full-stack work!
- Within your first month, you will dive deep into the technology of HyperScience and gain a product understanding of what we’re building and why it's important for our customers. You will build various features that give fine-grained control of the system to our customer while providing analysis of system performance. You'll become deeply familiar with the components of our frontend and backend systems, and "plumbing" of our data flows.
- After 60 days, you will have successfully managed a large-scale, end-to-end feature that interfaces with multiple teams and technologies. You will do this in an environment that prides itself on communication and process, with the acknowledgement that requirements are sometimes vague and subject to change. Along the way, you’ll proactively point out and fix bugs, infrastructure issues, and tech debt. Customers will delight in using your feature, since it unlocks a critical need and majorly enhances the user's experience.
- After an entire quarter and beyond, you will have had an active voice in directing the technological and product future of our company. This includes suggesting best practices and new technologies for our bleeding-edge stack, working closely with product and design teams on creating new features, and developing them for whole-team use. You will own many pieces of the code base and be proud of it!
- Passion for quality and attention to detail.
- Experience with a web framework / ORM. We use Python / Django.
- Desire to work closely with Product & Design teams in building highly interactive and intuitive features.
- Proven track record of building complex systems OR strong GitHub/OSS presence.
- Comfort with the "building blocks" of the web: http/s, APIs, REST, JSON.
- Ability to discuss and defend an engineering approach, but also to fully commit and participate in an alternate approach as part of the team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Read Full Job Description