Site Reliability Engineer
Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in Fintech and helped more than 4.5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing and looking for people with grit, great attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
When you're a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Policygenius…
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free and experiment-driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineers like yourself.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, your mission will be to ensure the reliability and adaptability of Policygenius’ network of mission-critical systems. We’ll be depending on your insight and expertise to advise and evolve the design, architecture, and scaling of our infrastructure. You’ll play a critical role in empowering the engineering team to confidently ship software efficiently and reliably. At Policygenius, you will work alongside passionate engineers who continuously strive to improve our world, our teams and themselves.
- Design, develop and maintain Policygenius’ core infrastructure and systems
- Provide an exceptional experience for the users using your infrastructure
- Empower other engineers to reach new levels of productivity, reliability, and scalability
- Assist other teams with troubleshooting across our systems and lead blameless postmortems in the event of an outage
- Work with cutting edge technology, expand your toolset, and share your expertise
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation alongside other SREs and software engineers
- 1+ years of experience with a public cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- A mind for systems: their life cycles and failure modes
- A solid command of Linux systems and the networking stack
- Experience debugging complex problems across a distributed system
- Experience or strong interest in Kubernetes and its related ecosystem of tooling
- A desire to automate everything you can and experience with infrastructure automation tools (e.g. Terraform)
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for best practices such as automated testing, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
- Experience building, scaling and maintaining distributed & highly available systems
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Go)
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship, and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)
Technologies You Will Use
Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud, BigQuery, gRPC, Google Functions, Buildkite, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Go, Python, PostgreSQL, Microservices, GraphQL, Git
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job, and always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, and better ways of getting things done.