Senior Software Engineer
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s Engineering team builds systems, integrations, interfaces and applications that help our audience of millennial women better navigate their world. We partner closely with product, editorial, and marketing teams to build innovative products, and are expanding our purview from news and information into tools and features that help our audience manage aspects of their lives.
As our product suite diversifies we’re looking for a skilled Senior Engineer for our Backend team, who will be responsible for building the APIs, databases, and service logic that will power new offerings that move beyond news. This area of growth for theSkimm is our most important strategic effort, and you could be the person that helps us succeed.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Designing architectures that are resilient to spikes in traffic, resistant to attack, and secured from intrusion and data extraction
- Building business logic, request handling, multi-platform presentation, API integrations — anything necessary to turn our product dreams into realities
- Mentoring fellow engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor on issues of technical design, code quality, and clear communication
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Demonstrated experience building robust and resilient APIs and services
- Experience writing – and desire to help others write – clean, simply-expressed, practically-documented code
- A stable of former colleagues you’ve supported and who loved working with you
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience securing personal information, including financial transaction data
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails, Python, PostgreSQL, and NGINX
- Experience migrating application logic to a serverless architecture
- Experience splitting legacy monolith applications into microservices
- Experience deploying, scripting, and maintaining AWS-based architectures
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
- History of recruiting and mentoring a team of engineers from a variety of backgrounds, skill levels, and life experiences
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!