Senior Software Engineer, Labs
We’re the Foursquare Labs team, a new internal incubation team with the mission to push the boundaries of location-based technology. We work on R&D projects, prototypes, and ship products that aim to fundamentally change how people think about experiences in the physical world.
This team is responsible for shaping the future of the company’s product offerings by exploring what can be built through our deep understanding of how people move through the world. There are infinite number of possibilities of things we can build, and we’re just getting started!
We are looking to welcome product-minded engineers to the team that will help us brainstorm, prototype, validate, ship, and iterate on crazy ideas that we come up with together. More than that, we’re looking for someone who is excited to help shape the culture of a new team and help define *how* we incubate new products and technologies.
Here are some examples of types of things we’re looking forward to working with you on:
- Jumping into a room to whiteboard through the very beginnings of ideas with a PM and designer, focusing on expanding the possibilities of what can be done rather than the constraints of what currently exists
- Learning new platforms, frameworks, and technologies to advise the team on the merits of using them to evaluate and test out new concepts
- Repurposing existing internal products, features, and systems to serve as building blocks for entirely different products
- Being an evangelist for the Labs team and for the possibilities that location technology enables through blog posts, talks, meetups, and partner meetings
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- You prefer to ship something and get feedback than to work on making it perfect
- You have a portfolio of apps and websites you have created to showcase ideas, or to test out new technologies
- You have worked with any of the following technologies: MongoDB, Scala, Kafka, AWS, Hadoop, Spark.
- Versatile with languages and technologies. You pick the right technology for the job. You might have dabbled with iOS, Android, React Native or Flutter; you tinkered with TensorFlow, Caffe or Torch; you know when to use Mongo vs Redshift; and you have an opinion on web frameworks.