Senior Software Engineer - Diner dynamics Team
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly.We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
We are looking for full-stack data engineers to help us dramatically expand and improve the capabilities of our big data analytics platform that powers the positioning of restaurants, marketplace analytics, and insights aimed at helping restaurants stay competitive. We have been focused on assembling a team of smart, humble people who are passionate about creating robust, automated solutions. This is an unbeatable opportunity for developers who hope to work on and deliver world class software in a friendly, fun, and innovative environment.
The diner dynamics team, is all about building a robust, big data analytics pipeline that generates insights, and integrates feedback into our real-time API services for continually drive the business flywheel of Grubhub. The team loves solving complex challenges to strike balances between the competing needs of our restaurants, our food delivery network, our end-users, and the marketplace itself.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Understand business context and think proactively from the perspective of the stakeholders; quickly iterate the requirements and MVPs with the stakeholders.
- Write complex but efficient code to transform raw data into business questions oriented datasets and data visualizations.
- Work with big data and distributed systems using technologies such as Spark, AWS EMR, and Scala.
- Design and implement lightweight to sophisticated indexing strategies on time, and spatial dimensions of data, to facilitate low latency analytics and decision making.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute.
You Should Have
- 5+ years experience working with distributed, data intensive applications
- 4+ years experience with Scala and Spark
- Extensive understanding of version control
- Willingness to understand larger business context
- Growth mindset. Be passionate about continuous learning and knowledge sharing.
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies
- Enthusiasm for a fast paced, tech and product oriented environment, and the desire to work with a great team!
Got These? Even Better:
- Experience with data visualizations and exploratory data analysis
- Familiarity with spatio-temporal data analytics
- Knowledge about multi-dimensional datasets
- Experiences on ad-tech or analytics platform
- Understandings about E-commerce systems
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.