Senior Software Engineer, Content Systems
About the Job
BuzzFeed is looking for a Software Engineer to help build features and improve our Content Systems. Our team consists of product managers, project managers, designers, data scientists, and engineers around the world. You will have the opportunity to build software that’s used to create and publish hundreds of pieces of news and entertainment content that reach hundreds of millions of people every day. Content Systems specializes in unlocking storytelling with single page applications and APIs. You'll be reporting to the engineering lead on Content Systems.
About the Products
BuzzFeed owns and operates its own Content Management System (CMS), which has lead digital media with new formats like lists and quizzes, as well as more traditional post and breaking news formats. Our team supports editors and community contributors as they produce BuzzFeed’s web content, as well as ensuring its availability to clients via APIs. Our current focus is on delivering features to our editors to improve their ability to describe their content, as well as streamlining their workflow in the CMS.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with a distributed team, working closely with engineers, product managers and designers in Minneapolis, New York and around the world.
- Lead front-end engineering standards and best practices for Content Systems infrastructure and applications used by editors, reporters and community contributors
- Write high-quality code and tests to build resilient services
- Unlock new ways of creating content, whether it’s lists, articles, quizzes or feeds
- Contribute to a kind, inclusive team that’s enthusiastic about digital content creation
About BuzzFeed tech stack
We know that talented engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages – if you don’t know already know the languages that we use, we’ll help you to pick it up.
- Our frontend consists of various JS frameworks, such as Backbone, React, Preact.
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or node.js depending on the scope and context of the service.
- Monitoring / Instrumentation is critical for our advertising stack. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services.
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle. The same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats
- Fun team/office outings