Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Namely’s mission is to help mid-sized companies build a better workplace. We’re an HR, payroll, and benefits platform that provides the technology, data, and support that HR professionals need and employees love to use. People are at the center of everything we do, and we believe every company and employee deserves a great workplace, supported by innovative HR technology. At Namely, we are problem solvers, self-starters, and obsessed with creating the best experience for our clients.
Namely is seeking Senior Software Engineers to join our growing team in New York City. You might have noticed we don’t split these out product focus or core programming language... our primary focus is to hire smart and motivated engineers that are eager to learn. As a growing team, we have no shortage of roles to fill - as you go through the interview process, we can work together to build a role around what excites you most.
Whether you’re looking to focus on backend development, or enjoy working across all levels of the software stack, you’ll have an opportunity to be hands-on as part of an agile development team. Our hiring process is language agnostic, we use a diverse set of tools and languages such as Go, Python, .NET Core, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker, Kafka and more. We work with React and SPA’s in the front-end, and are moving towards an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
- Migrating from a monolith to a microservice architecture, including a complete overhaul and rewrite of our Payroll Processing and Benefits Configuration
- Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our Human Capital Management (HCM) services
- Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, shape Namely’s engineering culture and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
- Deliver high quality, scalable and heavily tested software across our stack
- Evolve our systems through solid architectural design and peer code review
- Work on a cross-functional team, partnering across engineering, product, design, and business functions
- Be a technical thought leader to bring new ideas and methodologies to our growing team.
- Conveying complex, technical ideas to the broader org to understand major initiatives.
- 4+ years of experience building, shipping and maintaining web applications and services
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with one or more area of deep knowledge and experience.
- Experience building and owning, large scale distributed backend systems.
- Proven track record of technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture.
- Fluency in one or more server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Ruby, C#)
- Analytical mindset and an ability to identify and weigh architectural design tradeoffs
- Motivated, self-starter that is able to work both independently and in cooperation with a larger team
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.