Senior Software Engineer, Back End - Go/Golang
After a phenomenal first 5 years, Deliveroo now operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide. Our HQ is in London and we have offices worldwide, including one right here in NYC.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And now we're scaling. We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row.
In NYC, we are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
About the role
- Work in any number of our Product Teams, utilizing AGILE best practice
- Build products and improve existing ones (tech products that is...not meals)
- Take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- Gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- Work closely with other developers, designers, QA and others
What we're looking for
- 5+ years of software engineering experience building web applications at scale
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following languages: Ruby, Python, Go, Java, Scala
- Working experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- You take pride in writing readable, well-designed software. You prefer simple solutions over complex ones.
- You’re interested in new technologies and tools, but understand the rationale for choosing Boring Technology. You believe in using the right tool for the job.
- You’re comfortable building and scaling systems in a growing services infrastructure. You are driven to improve performance, enhance code quality, and establish best practices for your team.
- You have a proven ability to get up to speed quickly. You are a team player and will learn whatever new skills or tools needed to get the job done.
- You have the initiative and communication skills to build relationships with colleagues on different teams to solve fundamental business problems.
- Bonus points for experience with front-end technologies (we use React)
Benefits & Diversity
We know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritize their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
At Deliveroo, we believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to pizza. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.